Best Auto Tuner for Harley Davidson: Top 5 Models That Will Bring Your Fuel Management to a New Level
When it comes to making the best of your bike, an air-fuel ratio is one of the key parameters to play with. It impacts performance as well as the life of your motor, and everything in between.
A motorcycle straight out of the factory is designed to deliver nearly-perfect power. Nearly is exactly the word because of legal restrictions. Hiccups might emerge over time, too.
If you proudly own a Harley, you will find our review of the best auto tuner for Harley Davidson useful. The model can save you a lot of time and effort in finding the right AFR.
Top Harley Auto Tuners
Here is our own top pick plus four great alternatives in case you want something different.
1. Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3: Top Fuel Management System for Harley Davidson
Fuelpak FP3 boasts a combination of powerful fuel management and engine diagnostic toolkit with wireless connectivity, making it easy to use with an Android/iOS smartphone. The 6-pin HD-LAN CAN Bus system is used to establish a connection with your bike. FP3 then relies on the harmless Bluetooth to send the necessary data to your mobile device, which you can access via the specialized Vance & Hines application.
With this app, readings such as your current speed, RPMs, selected gear, cylinder head temperature, and more are presented on the screen. It enables you to calibrate your speedometer and gives you trouble codes if needed.
Flash technology is used for assessment and calibration. In particular, it can adjust your ECM for optimum performance, while the autotune feature adds precision and accuracy. The device keeps track of what is happening to your exhaust system by creating a custom map. Besides, there is a well-supported ready-made map library available, and your original manufacturer setting will be backed up in case you want to reverse the changes you make.
The model is compatible with Harley Davidson FLH, FLT 2014-2020, FXD 2012-2017, FXST, FLST 2011-2017 XG500, XG750 2014-2020, XG750A 2017-2020, and XL 2014-2020. Like many auto tuner models, it doesn’t ship to California due to legal restrictions.
- The Fuelpak FP3 has revolutionized fuel management for Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Tune your bike with your Smartphone - Welcome to the Future... ***Restricted for use in California***
- Connecting wirelessly by Bluetooth to iPhone or Android smartphones, Fuelpak FP3 uses Flash technology to re-calibrate engine parameters and mapping for exhaust systems and other performance upgrades downloaded from the expansive library of calibrations developed by Vance & Hines.
- Also standard for the Fuelpak FP3 is an auto-tune feature, making use of all factory sensors to add another layer of precision tuning for specific requirements, whether tuning for unique components or different grades of fuel.
- And with the Fuelpak FP3 module plugged-in, Live Sensor Data can be viewed through the smartphone to display speed, RPM, cylinder head temperature, voltage, gear selection and other vital information. Smartphone app user interface (iOS and Android) Re-calibrates ECM by Flash Tuning. Auto-tune feature for added tuning precision. Capable of displaying Life Sensor Data.
- Restricted fur use in California*** Fits the following Harley Models with 6-Pin Connectors: FLH, FLT 2014-2020 FXD 2012-2017 FXST, FLST 2011-2017 XG500, XG750 2014-2020 XG750A 2017-2020 XL 2014-2020
- Wireless connectivity;
- The intuitive app enables you to tune your AFR without getting off the saddle;
- Easy to install;
- Great technical support.
- Can only be used efficiently on one bike once you have installed it.
2. Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 66005: (Another) Best Auto Tuner for Harley Davidson
Another high-tech device made by Vance & Hines that will fit 2014-2019 Electra Glides, Road Glides, Road Kings and Street Glides, 2014-‘1019 Trikes; 2011-2019 Softails (except 2011-2013 CVO models), 2012-2017 Dynas, 2014-2019 Sportsters, and 2014-2019 Streets.
This model is very similar to our top pick in that it utilizes the same Bluetooth technology for effortless data transfer. The sleek minimalist design is also similar, and you can use your phone to monitor such vital information as speed, RPM, how hot the cylinder heads have got, gear selection, and more. Flash tuning is used to recalibrate the engine according to any modifications and downloaded maps.
Speaking about maps, the library is impressive, and quality support is provided by Vance & Hines technicians.
This model mainly differs from the generic FP3 in terms of compatibility and thus deserves to share the pedestal with it.
- Fuelpak FP3 revolutionizes fuel management for Harley-Davidson motorcycles using the HD-LAN (CAN Bus) 6 pin system; Connects wirelessly by Bluetooth to iPhone or Android smartphones
- Uses Flash technology to recalibrate engine parameters and mapping for exhaust systems and other performance upgrades downloaded from the expansive library of calibrations developed by Vance & Hines
- Autotune feature makes use of all factory sensors to add another layer of precision tuning for specific requirements, whether tuning for unique components or different grades of fuel
- Live Sensor Data can be viewed through the smartphone to display speed, RPM, cylinder head temperature, voltage, gear selection, and other vital information
- Compatible with Harley-Davidson models: '14-'19 Electra Glides, Road Glides, Road Kings & Street Glides, '14-'19 Trikes; '11-'19 Softails (except '11-'13 CVO models), '12-'17 Dynas, '14-'19 Sportsters & '14-'19 Streets
- No-wires smartphone connection;
- Easy-to-use app interface for live tuning and monitoring;
- Easy installation;
- Excellent technical support.
- Married to your bike as soon as you install it.
3. Dynojet Power Commander V: A Powerful Harley Tuner Kit
Compatible with Harley Davidson FXD DYNA MODELS, Dynojet Power Commander is another much-talked-about auto tuner that offers a lot of fuel efficiency and performance tuning options.
Just like the FP3 tuner reviewed above, this model uses a specialized application to help you navigate through fuel management tasks. While also easy to use and install, it doesn’t have the wireless connectivity feature, though. Instead, it uses a USB On-the-Go cable to connect to your phone, replacing which can be a bit of pain. The device can also connect to your computer.
Apart from the autotune, launch control is accessible with Power Commander V. It also features an analog input that can be used to host a 0-5 sensor for more control based on boost or temperature through adjustment tables.
The model allows you to map each of your cylinders individually. Paired with gear-specific mapping, this provides for a vast number of truly granular combinations.
If you upgrade some part of your bike after installing Dynojet Power Commander, you can still find the right tunes because the ready-made settings library is huge. Finally, the unit is easy to install just in case you want your stock settings back.
The device comes in a sleek, compact, and durable casing that’s easy to install. Please mind that it is not legal to use in the state of California.
- Compact design;
- Installation is a breeze;
- Additional sensor optionl
- Individual cylinder- and gear-based mapping;
- Extensive library.
- Requires a cable to connect to the phone;
- On the expensive side.
4. Dynojet Black Power Vision Tuner PV-2B: A Luxury Motorcycle Auto Tuner
Another powerful fine-tuning tool for your Harley made by Dynojet, Black Power Vision PV-2B, will fit all CN ECM models, which means a vast majority of those made from 2011/2012 to 2020.
Just like the above device, this model uses a specialized application to help you pick-and-choose the necessary adjustments. It is not wireless; however, this is partly made up of a luxury feature — a high-contrast 3.5-inch color touch screen that’s easy to read on the go.
That is, you hardly need a phone at all when using Dynojet’s Black Power Vision. Instead, you can rely on the device itself as a live adjustment panel. It can also serve as a diagnostic tool due to the ability to create customized alarms. Those who want to store or manipulate their data extensively can connect to a PC when back in the garage.
Power Vision tuner review often mentions how intuitive and easy to adjust it is. Making your very own tune is very quick with it, and there is a whole library of pre-made ones. Installation is also easy because it uses standard mounting accessories.
While definitely not what you could call a budget-friendly option, this auto tuner is also built to last. It’s unfussy design is shock-resistant and doesn’t mind rainy weather.
Note that you cannot use this auto-tuner in California.
- The quickest and most powerful flash tuner on the market
- The sophisticated, yet easy-to-use, 3.5in. full color touch screen display mounts to handlebars with intergrated Amps 4-hole threaded inserts; also mounts to most aftermarket accesory mounts that feature Amps 4-mounting options
- The displays interface cable plugs directly to the bikes diagnostic connector
- NO COMPUTER REQUIRED; simply select the tune and follow the on-screen prompts to flash the bike; tunes can also be edited directly from the Power Vision
- Utilizes WinPV (Windows PC-based tuning application)
- Comes with a built-in touch screen;
- Quick and easy to navigate;
- Simple installation procedure;
- Big map library;
- Rugged design.
- Not the most affordable option.
5. ThunderMax Auto-Tune: Dedicated Fuel Tuners for Harley Davidson Bikes
ThunderMax Auto Tune stands out immediately because it was made specifically to meet the needs of EFI-equipped Harley riders. The device targets 2002 – 2007 Touring® models, Softail® models made from 2001 to 2010, and 2007 – 2009 Sportster® Models. It also supports high-performance camshafts and will work in nitrous and supercharger settings.
Installation is fairly easy, although the manufacturer warns you that you might need to introduce minor changes to your O2 sensor port bungs. Unfortunately, the model is not cell-phone friendly, meaning you can only connect it to your computer using a USB cable and the specialized software that comes with it. The software provides for live diagnostics and examination.
The closed-loop wideband sensor system that this device relies on provides for continuous adjustment on the go. There are hundreds of maps to choose from, and the fact that the front and rear cylinders are treated separately makes the adjustments even more granular. Apart from AFR maps, ignition and startup maps are available. Idle speed and rev limit can be adjusted, too. The device also provides for speedometer calibration.
Another way in which ThunderMax clearly differs from the above models is its premium price. Luckily, it is partly made up for by a longer-than-usual limiter warranty of three years.
This device is not to be used on a highway in the state of California.
- ThunderMax with AutoTune is the industry’s first and only stand-alone Performance EFI Engine Management System developed specifically to meet the tuning needs of H-D motorcycle owners. This highly advanced tuning system allows the user to support a wide range of performance upgrades with ease.
- The all new ThunderMax AutoTune module includes all of the great performance enhancements that made the brand famous – with benefits you’ll notice immediately, including quicker throttle response, increased power and cooler operating temperatures.
- The ThunderMax with AutoTune is a Wide-Band, Closed-Loop system which means it continually and automatically adjusts your air-fuel ratios every time you ride, regardless of changes in ambient conditions. All you have to do is ride and enjoy!
- The ThunderMax System can never be out grown... Change pipes, add cams, whatever! Just download a new map. ThunderMax software, firmware and map updates are accessible 24/7 with an internet connection.
- Email Cycle Solutions Inc and we will set up your Thundermax Auto Tune with the proper starting map based on your bike modifications plus you will receive a coupon for a FREE DYNO Diagnostic run at an event of your choice!
- Relatively easy to install
- Provides for highly detailed training
- A wide variety of maps to choose from
- 3 years of the limited warranty
- No mobile/wireless connectivity
What an auto tuner does for your motorcycle is facilitate the adjustment of the air-fuel ratio where fuel injection technology is used. The ratio has a direct impact on the power and performance of your engine and can bring a lot of joy into your ride when tuned properly.
First of all, you need to make sure the model you are considering will fit your bike model by checking the specifications.
The next thing to take into account is how easy it is to install. Complicated procedures mean more time off your Harley and potential for mistakes.
Oxygen sensors are an important part of any auto tuner. These fall into two categories, the less accurate narrow-band ones and wide-band sensors that enable the tuner to reach its target AFR in an efficient manner. This means that models that come with wide-band sensors generally perform better.
Spark plug timing adjustment is another important capability if you are planning a major update. Harley’s generic power commander normally doesn’t have this feature, but it is a welcome bonus.
Finally, you should look for intuitive interfaces with maximum connectivity. A good library of pre-made Harley-friendly maps is also desirable as it can save you a lot of time.
Note: The use of aftermarket parts is restricted in California. You cannot use a tuner on highways unless it has been exempted. EPA is also concerned about tuners due to increased pollutant emissions.
Here are the answers to some common questions that appear under Harley’s tuner reviews.
Do I need a tuner for my Harley?
You do if you want to increase the amount of air that inflows to your engine or simply want to increase your horsepower.
Should I tune my Harley after exhaust replacement?
As a rule, you should. If you replace the exhaust and the air cleaner, an auto-tuner is a must.
What does a tuner do for a Harley?
By providing for dynamic adjustment in AFT, an auto-tuner improves performance and power, also reducing the need for maintenance and servicing and improving the rider’s comfort with less chugging and stalling.
What is the best year of Harley Davidson?
This depends on the model. For example, when it comes to Dyna Wide Glide, the 2008 version is said to be the absolute best.
While there’s quite a number of decent Harley-Davidson tuner options on the market, few can offer ease of installation and effortless connectivity while remaining more or less budget-friendly.
We recommend Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 as it brings together modern wireless technology and excellent potential for engine control, making it ideal for a wide audience of riders.
Whether you want to follow our advice or prefer more specialized options, an accurate auto tuner will put an end to compromised power and annoying hiccups.
What is your main reason for considering an auto tuner? Share in the comments section!