Best GPS for Harley Davidson: Professional Reviews of the Best Models
It is now easy to buy a quality GPS model for cars in almost any range. But to find a motorcycle accessory that is really worth the money, you have to do a good search. To save you time and nerves, I tested popular models, chose the ones I liked, and wrote the five best GPS for Harley Davidson reviews. The range of bike navigators is really not as broad as bikers would like. As a rule, they are two or even three times more expensive than conventional devices. They have significant differences, and some features are worth the money.
If you buy a cheap model, it probably won’t last long. Do not forget there are many more requirements for motorcycle accessories. They should be protected from rain and dust, withstand vibrations and possible hits, give a clear and bright display even in sunny weather, have a user-friendly interface, and a sensitive screen that you can use even with gloves. Also, don’t forget about the mount: it should hold the device securely, but at the same time, it is easy to open when you need it. As you can see, a car navigator will not work in such a situation.
5 Best Harley Davidson GPS Models Reviewed
I chose convenient accessories with a minimum of drawbacks. They have approximately the same set of functions and do an excellent job with any tasks.
1.Best GPS for Harley Davidson Overall: Garmin ZUMO XT
The new model from the Gamin brand has been specially designed for motorcyclists. It is a reliable device with an attractive design and a wide range of features.
The device has 8.5×7.5×4.5 inches and a display with a diagonal of 5.5 inches (1280×720 pixels), which supports landscape and portrait orientations. All maps are displayed in HD format. Like all moto GPS, it’s quite heavy (1.58 pounds) primarily due to its thick shockproof housing. One battery charge lasts an average of 6 hours of operation, and at maximum brightness settings at 3.5. The device has preloaded North American maps. It also has built-in Wi-Fi, MP3 support, and free access to the BirdsEye Satellite Imagery. The memory capacity is 32 GB.
The screen of this device is so bright that the picture is visible even in blinding sunlight. It is very sensitive and perfectly reads touches with gloves. The thick plastic case reliably protects the device from bad weather, as it is IPX7 waterproof. Devices with this level of protection can easily withstand short exposure to rain. Besides, it is shockproof and meets the MIL-STD-810 standard. The device will take care of your safety, warning about dangerous turns, and railway crossings. In case of an accident, it will automatically notify your relatives about it by sending text messages. Built-in Wi-Fi makes it easy to update maps and share your favorite routes with others.
- 5.5” ultrabright, glove-friendly display with crisp HD resolution in landscape or portrait mode; rain-resistant and built rugged (passed the military standard 810 drop test)
- Get spoken turn-by-turn directions through your connected helmet or headset plus preloaded off-road topographic maps with public land boundaries, 4x4 roads and more
- Access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads and no annual subscription
- Garmin Adventurous Routing options find curvy or hilly roads for a fun and exciting riding experience
- Easily manage and review routes, tracks and waypoints across your navigator, smartphone and computer using Garmin Explore
- Robust housing;
- A high degree of moisture protection;
- The display is bright.
- Quite pricey;
- It doesn’t show custom POIs on maps.
2. The Most Budget-Friendly Harley Davidson Navigation System: Garmin Drive 51 USA LM
Even though this model was also released by Garmin, it is less powerful and has less impressive performance. Nevertheless, it will be a great option for those who do not want to spend too much money.
The model has two sizes to choose from 5 and 6 inches. In my opinion, the first option (5 inches or 480×272 pixels) is more convenient since such a screen is large enough to see a map, but at the same time, it does not take up much space. The operating time of a lithium-ion battery without recharging is up to 1 hour. But it weighs very little in comparison with other products (only 0.38 pounds). When purchasing, you can choose which maps will be preloaded on your device: USA, Canada, or both. The internal memory is 8 GB.
It has a bright, backlit display. Its resistive screen is responsive to tap with any object, so it’s easy to use with gloves. However, judging by its size and weight, this navigator does not have the same high protection level as the previous product. You can still use it for your HD because the display is readable, and the maps are really high quality. However, the enclosure may not be able to withstand heavy impact or rain.
Conveniently, it has a smart assistant that lets you create customized routes based on your points of interest and Foursquare or TripAdvisor tags. It will even find you a free parking lot near local attractions. Optionally, you can use Garmin mobile apps to exchange information with other riders anywhere in the country.
- Easy to use dedicated GPS navigator with bright 5.0 inch dual orientation display
- Preloaded with lifetime maps of the U.S
- Driver alerts for dangerous curves, speed changes, speed cameras, railroad crossings, animal crossings and more. Display resolution:480 x 272 pixels
- TripAdvisor ratings for travel points of interest (POIs) such as hotels, restaurants and attractions
- Garmin Real Directions feature guides like a friend, using recognizable landmarks, buildings and traffic lights
- TripAdvisor and Foursquare support;
- Can be used with gloves;
- Short battery life.
3. GPS Device for Motorcycle With the Best Price/Quality Ratio: Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S
Closing the top three on my list is another model from the Garmin brand. Zumo 396 LMT-S has been explicitly designed for use on bikes, has a sleek and compact design, and will not fade in the sun.
The device measures 5 inches and has a display diagonal of 4.3 inches (480×272 pixels). The product weight is 0.5 pounds. Its rechargeable battery has been increased compared to previous models, and the navigator’s battery life is up to 4 hours. It has preloaded maps for North America with detailed coverage. The device supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and MP3-files. The internal memory is 16 GB. Since it was designed for motorcycle riding, it has a high IPX7 water resistance rating.
The case is reliably protected from possible falls or hits. Even if you accidentally drop it right on the road, there won’t be a scratch on the device. It is resistant to bad weather conditions and exhaust fumes. If your helmet is equipped with Bluetooth, you can receive hands-free calls, listen to music, and check notifications. When using the proprietary smartphone app, you will receive timely info about traffic jams, accidents, and weather forecasts.
What I love about Garmin devices is that you can set your travel preferences, and the navigator will create routes based on your settings. Prefer calm tracks? Then your path will be without traffic jams and difficult forks. And if you like extreme sports, prepare for driving up hills and off-road. And with recommendations from TripAdvisor users, any regular trip can be turned into an adventure.
- Motorcycle navigation for the twisty road to adventure
- Rugged, glove friendly, Sunlight readable 4.3 inch display; resistant to fuel vapors, UV Rays and harsh weather
- Pair with a compatible smartphone for hands free calling, smart notifications through the free Smartphone Link app, easily share GPX files for group rides
- Access free Live services for traffic and weather using the smartphone link app
- Garmin Adventurous Routing finds curvy or hilly roads; limits major highways
- Long battery life;
- Large memory;
- Excellent value for money.
- Incident detection notifications don’t work correctly.
4. Harley Davidson GPS With Excellent Functionality: TomTom Go Comfort
If battery life is not a big deal for you and you would like to save some money, then TomTom Go Comfort is worth looking at. This model has excellent technical characteristics at an affordable price.
The display size is 6 inches or 800×480 pixels, and the total product weight is 1.1 pounds. The device is powered by one A-battery (included), and the maximum runtime is one hour. It is equipped with preloaded maps of North America, which are regularly updated free of charge over Wi-Fi throughout the entire time you use the navigator. Besides wireless internet, it also supports USB and Bluetooth. The internal memory is 16 GB, which can be supplemented with a memory card.
The navigator has a very convenient function of reading aloud text messages. You do not have to be distracted from the road; the device will sound them for you. And if you receive too many messages, you can simply set up a notification system. Moreover, you can use a voice control function. Artificial Intelligence remembers your regular routes, analyzes them, and gives predictions about potential difficulties at a specific time of day and time of arrival at your finish point.
Thanks to its own monitoring service TomTom Traffic, you will always be aware of the latest events: accidents, traffic jams, and repairs. Taking all this into account, the navigator will pave a faster and more comfortable path. With the MyDrive mobile app, you can plan routes in advance. And by connecting with the Road Trips community, you will discover many new tracks and can suggest your favorite ones.
- TomTom Traffic: Supremely accurate traffic information enables your TomTom GO Comfort GPS navigation device to intelligently plan routes around traffic
- 3-month speed camera alerts: Stay updated, under the speed limit, and safer along the way. Keep going with live services by switching over to a subscription after your trial ends!
- USA, Mexico & Canada map updates at no extra cost: See what is up ahead with your GO Comfort GPS. Effortless navigation, exceptional clarity, and routes around road closures and other traffic hassles.
- Wireless Connectivity: Stay updated quickly and easily with the GO Comfort GPS navigation device. Get regular software and map updates with the convenience of built-in WiFi. No computer needed!
- RoadTrips by TomTom: Supercharge your holidays! RoadTrips brings you another world of driving and riding experiences created by our RoadTrips Community. Sync them easily to your GPS and go!
- Excellent functionality;
- Voice control;
- Reasonable price.
- The battery does not recharge;
- No moisture protection.
5. The Most Connected GPS for Harley Davidson Motorcycles: TomTom GO Supreme
The GO Supreme is TomTom’s flagship model with the best performance in the entire product line. It is pretty expensive, but it is not overpriced. Its versatility is worth the money.
The display size is 6 inches or 480×272 pixels, and the device weighs 1.41 pounds. It is powered by one standard lithium-ion battery for 1 hour of battery life. Unlike all other products on my list, this device has detailed maps of the whole world, not a separate region. They update automatically over Wi-Fi. The internal memory is 16 GB, but you can insert a memory card and enlarge it if you want. The device supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and voice control.
A very important and impressive feature of this model is IFTTT Integration. Now you can turn any event from the calendar into a destination by simply syncing your devices. The navigator will calculate the route for you, take into account possible difficulties (e.g., traffic jams) and recommend the start time. Besides, with this device’s purchase, you get free speed camera updates without the need to subscribe.
Support for useful services such as MyDrive, Traffic, and Road Trips will make any trip easier and more comfortable. Thanks to such a wide range of functions, many experts call this model the most connected GPS overall. By the way, this navigator will guide you literally to the finish point: if you can’t get there by bike, but you need to walk, the device will warn you about it.
- World map updates via WiFi: Get the latest world maps and software updates for your TomTom GO Supreme GPS navigation device via built-in WiFi - no computer needed
- TomTom traffic: Supremely accurate traffic information enables your TomTom GO Supreme GPS navigation device to intelligently plan routes around traffic
- TomTom speed camera alerts: Avoid annoyances with regular updates on fixed, mobile, and average speed cameras, at no extra cost
- Last mile navigation: Trusted guidance, in-car and then on foot, right to your destination's front door; superior guidance by TomTom Go Supreme GPS and TomTom MyDrive, every step of the journey
- IFTTT functionality: For warm welcomes and worry-free goodbyes, sync your thermostat, garage door, lights, music, virtual assistants and smart devices with TomTom GO Supreme GPS
- Free speed camera updates;
- IFTTT functionality;
- Worth the money.
- Not weather resistant.
Hit the Road With the Best GPS for Harley Davidson
As you can see, my preference is for tried and trusted brands. Garmin and TomTom have long established themselves as manufacturers of the best navigators. Motorcycle gadgets don’t have to cost several times more than car accessories. However, some features are definitely worth the money. A device protected from moisture and having shockproof housing will cost more in any case.
I know that many drivers now use smartphones and mobile apps to get directions. In my opinion, individual GPS units are much more reliable. They have weather-resistant features, can show directions even if there is no connection, and have large displays. Besides, many models have longer battery life and brighter displays designed for use in sunny weather.
I hope my reviews will help you find the right device for you. I have products for every taste, budget, and adventure level on my list. For those who love challenging and twisty trails, the Garmin ZUMO XT is perfect. And for those who prefer a quiet ride, you can choose a simpler model.
Which navigator do you use? What trails do you usually drive? Please share your favorite routes with my readers and me in the comments below the article.