Best Motorcycle Helmet: Why Bluetooth Helmets are Worth Purchasing
My name is Bruce Morris, and my passion for riding has been growing since I was only 10. I have ridden thousands of miles since I started bike riding, and I have tried a lot of bike tools to become a bike expert and advisor.
The first thing I tell young bike enthusiasts is the value of a helmet. You should always wear a fitting helmet when riding to minimize the possibility of head injuries in case of an accident. The advancement of technologies has brought riders with innovative helmets that meet desired needs. For example, technology has provided a solution through helmets with in-built sunglasses to cope with challenges of visibility and distraction to your eyes while riding.
In my many years of riding, I have learned to appreciate those preferences matter when it comes to choosing helmets. I have a friend of mine who is in real estate but also a big bike fan. The thing with him is that he is always on the phone. Therefore, to him, a helmet with a quality in-built Bluetooth system is always a top priority.
Other riders will also have that specific aspect they consider essential such as how much the helmet weighs, its shape for airflow, and a vision range. However, we can all agree that the ability of a helmet to guarantee your safety will always be the most significant consideration.
In this article, I focus on the important communication possibilities while riding as I review the best motorcycle Bluetooth helmets. I have tested all of these models myself, and it is time to cover their pros and cons expertly. If you haven’t used a helmet with a built-in Bluetooth feature, below I will explain how great it is to have one instead of buying Bluetooth intercom.
The 5 Best Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmets
Here you can read about five helmet models that I find really practical. This will help me to comprehensively cover the features, strengths and weaknesses of each of the gadgets. Therefore, find out below about these best friends for every rider who wants to enjoy both personal and group rides.back to menu ↑
FreedConn – The Best Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet
If I were to give this helmet a rating, I would give it a hundred percent for its functionality, beauty, and efficiency. It comes with a Bluetooth device that can be inserted at the back of the helmet. The device comes with the package so that you can install and uninstall it when you want to clean the helmet.
Once you fasten the Bluetooth device, you can then connect it to your mobile phone or another helmet within five hundred meters range. It allows you to connect to up to three other helmets within this range. This means that if you are riding with two or three friends, it is possible to connect them to your device and then share information.
The only required thing is to ride at a close range with your buddies so that the devices can remain connected. Besides, FreedConn, the best full face Bluetooth motorcycle helmet, can communicate with music players so that you may listen to your favorite jams. It can also connect to GPS trackers.
Just because it is a motorcycle helmet with Bluetooth, it does not mean that it does not have other features. The helmet has ventilation at the front, top, and back. These are enough to allow for circulation of air in all directions inside the helmet. Therefore, there is no chance that you will suffocate when using this gear even if you ride at the highest possible speed.
The gear also has cheek pads and a liner that can be removed easily. This is for hygiene purposes as you can wash these accessories separately to keep your helmet clean. The fact that they can be removed also helps in protecting other parts of the gear from getting in contact with water. As you have guessed, water may spoil things such as the Bluetooth device.
I have learned to appreciate a gear that cancels noise from the background. The FreedConn Bluetooth helmet helps you to listen to music seamlessly no matter of the speed or the noise that other motorists make on the road. This gear has a microphone built into the system to help cancel out noise from the surrounding. Therefore, when you turn on the Bluetooth music, you can hear the songs playing clearly as if you were in a quiet room away from people.
It uses only one button to control the Bluetooth connection and the volume of the music. Thus, there are no complications when it comes to using the device in this gear.
It also has in-built sunglasses to protect you from ultraviolet rays. These enable you to be attentive on the road because the sunglasses give you a clear vision of things going on ahead of you on the road.
- ✪ [ DOT Modular Motorcycle Helmet ] FreedConn Bluetooth helmet supports max intercom range up to 1640 feet for 2 riders talking or 3 riders pairing. We had meets and exceeds both ECE & DOT safety standards, don't worry about the safety while riding.
- ✪ [ 3.0 Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmets ] Motorcycle helmet with Bluetooth 3.0 technology allows you to enjoy music, FM, GPS voice prompt and intercom stably while riding, makes team motorbike communication more convenient and efficient.
- ✪ [ Crystal Clear Sound Helmet Intercom ] Built in 2 premium speakers with full stereo sound. Advanced DSP echo cancellation and noise suppression technology, FreedConn Bluetooth helmet offers you clear music and intercom voice at high speed.
- ✪ [ 1 Button Control Helmets Motorbike ] Bluetooth FM helmet supports hands-free call (answering, rejecting incoming calls and redialing last number) with 1 multi-functional button. Incoming phone call overrides intercom, MP3 music, FM radio and GPS navigation audio. You can trigger Siri voice command by long press the MFB button for 2 seconds.
- ✪ [ Long Battery Life & UPGRADE Package ] 8 hours intercom talk time and 110 hours of standby. Upgrade package comes with gloves ( same size as bluetooth motorcycle helmet). M/ L/ XL motorcycle helmet with washable liner, if the size doesn't fit well, we will send you bigger or smaller liner.
- It has a noise cancellation system
- It comes with gloves and a USB cable as accessories
- It has washable liner and cheek pads
- It comes with a rechargeable lithium battery
- It does not come with an adapter for charging the battery. You have to buy it separately or use any other adapter within your home
HJC CL-MAXBT II – The Best Modular Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet
This helmet weighs 5.1 pounds, and it is designed and manufactured by HJC that are experts in developing modular helmets. Therefore, since it is made by one of the best manufacturers in the industry, it has made it to my list of the best Bluetooth modular motorcycle helmet models.
The main reason I love it is because you can adjust the face shield so that it may either cover your full face or half of it. Who does not like such flexibility? Considering the changes in the weather, I believe it is better to have a single gadget that can rhyme with warm, humid, and cold weather. When it is hot, and you are riding at a low speed, you may lift the face shield so that you can enjoy a view of the environment. This also allows the gear to circulate a sufficient amount of fresh air at the front and back.
When the weather is very humid or cold, for example, during winter, you can put on the gear with the face shield fastened so that it may cover the full head and face. This will keep you warm, and it will also protect your visibility from being distracted by the harsh conditions outside.
Additionally, the shield is created in a way so that it protects you from ultraviolet rays, which are dangerous to your naked eye. Like most high-quality gears, HJC CL has in-built sunglasses. They can reflect more than 95% of these rays, hence enhancing your vision and minding about the health of your eyes at the same time. Even when the shield is half-face, the sunglasses stay in position and protect you from poor vision caused by dangerous sun rays.
The face shield can be adjusted using a knob that can be operated with one hand. Therefore, you do not have to hold the shield tight with both hands to lift or lower it. When you are riding at low speed, you can lift the shield while riding your motorcycle instead of stopping. Do it only if you can achieve a balance with one hand at low speeds.
The helmet measures sixteen inches in height, length, and width because it is a small-size gear. It also has sufficient ventilation for when you are riding with the full-face shield on. Unlike some gears that you may find not having enough ventilation for air circulation, with this one, you are confident of freshness throughout. In fact, the holes are built in a way that they discard warm air and humidity through the top part of the helmet.
The shell is made of polycarbonate, which is a long-lasting material. The material is also a major reason why the gear is light.
- Advanced Injection Molded Lightweight Polycarbonate Shell - Single-Button One Handed Chin Bar/Face Shield Release - Superior Fit and Comfort Using Advanced CAD Technology
- Bluetooth Ready with integrated recess and interior speaker cavities
- Optically Superior Faceshield Provides 95 percent U.V. Protection
- QuickSlide Tool-less Shield Replacement System (HJ-17)
- ACS Advanced Channeling Ventilation System - Full Front to Back Airflow Flushes Heat and Humidity Up and Out
- It is very light
- It has an adjustable shield
- It has a knob that can be operated using only one hand
- It is DOT certified
- In-built sunglasses
- It is of a small size that comes only in black
Sena Savage – The Best Open-Face Helmet With Bluetooth
For many riders and bike enthusiasts, Sena is not a brand that requires much of an introduction. Since its establishment, Sena has been a company committed to providing innovative communication technologies for all outdoor lovers such as riders, climbers, skydivers, and hikers. This innovativeness is manifested in their amazing Sena Savage Helmet.
From the company’s website, this product is described as the first motorcycle helmet that is open-faced and contains Bluetooth 4.1. This Bluetooth device has the potential of connecting with three other riders within a range of 1 mile, which is equivalent to 1.6 km.
From a rider’s perspective, one of the things you will love about this helmet is its weight. It weighs only about 2.5 pounds. This means that it is very comfortable when riding. The added sense of comfortability does not imply that they have compromised on the safety aspects. This built in Bluetooth motorcycle helmet comes packed with two customized armor and multi-density EPS for that extra protection in the event of an impact.
The shell is made of fiberglass, which helps to maintain the weight at a minimum. At the same time, the helmet is strong enough for your safety. For improved fastening, the helmet includes a double D-ring pin lock system with nylon straps. For those that are keen on their safety, you can be at peace with this helmet because it has managed to achieve both DOT and ECE certifications. This is not something that most helmets in the market can boast of getting.
I take this as a good enough sign of the level of innovation in this company. It is also something that I would look for while trying to compare one helmet with others in matters related to quality.
In terms of design, the helmet comes in various sizes. Hence, every customer can find something that will fit. The helmet is also detachable, which makes it easy to clean and dry. Every rider wants to maintain their style, and the design of this helmet contributes to achieving it.
From an innovation perspective, the manufacturer has taken things seriously by including an in-built Sena 10S system. This system is made up of a Bluetooth 4.1. The Bluetooth can sustain you about 11 hours while talking and about one week when on standby mode. A gear with such a long talk time is the best motorcycle helmet Bluetooth speakers in the market.
You don’t have to worry about powering your device because inside the nylon straps there is a USB port for charging the system. This port can be used for uploading the system’s firmware as provided by the manufacturer.
The system also includes an integrated microphone, speakers, and control system. The control is easy to operate as it only consists of a dial and a button. Use the dial to switch it on and off. Use the button to change between functions such as playing music, listening to FM radio, getting directions, and answering calls. For a smoother experience, the system also includes an advanced noise control. This helps to minimize the amount of noise experienced while using the helmet.
- Savage: Ride in style with Bluetooth function in a classic look
- A Sleek Open Face Smart Helmet That Reflects Your Personal Style - The Savage is the first open face motorcycle helmet with Bluetooth 4.1, packing the premium communication technology Sena is known for
- Connect with up to 3 other riders via built-in intercom up to 1.6 km (1 mile), listen to music, hear GPS directions, or take and make phone calls
- The Perfect Fit For Every Rider - The Savage was designed with three unique shells and multi-density EPS for added protection in the case of impact
- The helmets range in size from XS - XXL, and come in matte black or glossy white with optional long and short visors. Complies with US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 (FMVSS 218) (DOT FMVSS No. 218 Certified)
- It contains an in-built Sena 10S system that has a Bluetooth 4.1 capable of connecting up to four riders within a one-mile radius
- It has an in-built USB port for charging and updating the Sena 10S system’s firmware
- Traditional three-snap to style at the forehead that helps you add other accessories to the helmet
- An advanced noise control system
- The helmet is a bit pricey compared to other brands in the market
Torc T14B – The Top Choice for Riders and one of the best motorcycle Bluetooth helmet
Torc T14B Bluetooth helmet is another best motorcycle Bluetooth helmet option to consider. If you think about having enough flow of air in a helmet, the manufacturer of this gear took your need in mind. It has vents at the front, back, top, and sides. These ensure that you have enough air to breathe even when riding at more than a hundred miles per hour.
The vents also ensure that you get enough cooling by quickly eliminating warm air from the inside part of the gear. The air rises and exits the helmet through the top vent, which is large enough to perform this role efficiently.
The helmet is safe proved by DOT and ECE certifications. The manufacturer has gone the extra mile to ensure that it has fulfilled all these safety measures. I am sure there is no safety measure that the company has not taken into consideration.
The helmet has a front shield that is durable because it does not scratch nor does it break easily. Hidden behind the shield is a visor that protects you from UV rays. The visor is controlled by a lever on the side of the gear. You can use this lever to display or hide the sun visor when the weather is cool, and if you find that there is no need for the sunglasses.
The Bluetooth integration in gear lasts for four hours when talking and 12 hours on standby. This is quite long-lasting, and by the time it runs out of charge, you will have gotten to a place where you can be able to recharge the device.
The helmet weighs only 4.97 pounds, and it is 10.2 by 8.7 by 11.4 inches, which is quite sizeable. The weight and size contribute to its compact nature.
It is easy to connect the Bluetooth device to others. There is a knob on the side of the gear, which you can press to perform multiple functions such as connecting to another device and selecting a song. It also rotates so that you may control the volume of the music easily.
- Bluetooth Integrated Shell
- Dual Density EPS with Intermediate Oval Profile
- Smooth Lock drop-down visor system. Outer shell material-Advanced thermo polymer alloy shell
- Fully removable and machine washable inner liner
- ECE and DOT Certified
- It is compact
- It is light
- DOT and ECE certificates
- It has thick pads that can be removed and washed
- In-built sunglasses
- It has an oval shape, which may be not suitable for some people
ILM Modular Helmet – The Best Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet 2018
Are you looking for a versatile helmet that will last for a long time? I am a big fan of ILM full-face helmet because of many reasons. One of them is that the gear has Bluetooth that can connect to the mobile phone and two other helmets. This means that you may listen to the new music that you downloaded on your phone, or you may choose to converse with friends with whom you are riding together.
It has a walkie talkie mode that enables you to speak to the person riding the gear that you are connected to via Bluetooth. The only downside is that although it can connect to two more gears, the walkie talkie mode is possible only between two helmets. Therefore, you have to pass a message to each of your friends separately.
To connect to the first gear, you should click the Bluetooth knob once while to communicate with the third person in the group, press it twice. There is absolutely no boredom when you have this gear as it offers a kind of entertainment.
It is among the best rated Bluetooth motorcycle helmets because of the visor, which can be adjusted and removed for cleaning. To adjust it, move it up or down, and to remove it completely, you need to press the fastener on each side so that it can become loose and then, get out quickly.
The gear also has a chin strap that is usually found in the best motorcycle helmets with Bluetooth. This helps in holding the gear tight so that it does not fall or make any movement that may distract you from concentrating on the road.
ILM integrated Bluetooth modular helmet also has high-density cheek pads that protect you from getting injured in case of major or minor accidents. This is in addition to the high-quality material that is used to make the shell. It can last for long, and it does not break easily.
The pads and the inner liner can be replaced. You can detach them from the shell and wash them after one or several years, depending on your liking. You can buy an extra pair of cheek pads for use when the ones that come with it are wet. Alternatively, when they get old, and you feel that there is a need to obtain new ones, you will already have them in handy.
It weighs only 4.4 pounds. This makes it light considering that there are gears that weigh much more. It is therefore comfortable to use for long rides because you may not even realize that you have it on until you arrive at the final destination.
It has sufficient air inlets and outlets that allow to circulating fresh air inside the gear and eliminating the warm air and heat, thus, leaving you feeling cool.
- Bluetooth 3.0 Technology. 8 Hours of Talk Time and 110 Hours of Standby. Fully Washable Microfiber Liner and Adjustable Vents.
- One Touch Control for Calling, Answering, Rejecting Incoming Calls and Redialing. Incoming Phone Call Overrides Intercom, Music, FM Radio and GPS Navigation Audio.
- Supports a Max distance of up to 1000 Feet Between Two Riders Using the Intercom. 2 High Quality Built-in Speakers with Full Stereo Sound.
- Meets or Exceeds both ECE and DOT Safety Standards. DSP Echo Cancellation and Noise Suppression Technology Offers High Quality Voice at High Speeds.
- Known issues with the Bluetooth System -- When the helmet Bluetooth system hasn’t been used for a long time, the battery will enter deep sleep mode. During this time, Bluetooth mode may not be available. To wake the battery up, charge the battery for about half an hour. After this charge, Bluetooth functionality will be restored.
- It is compact and light
- It has a walkie talkie that enables you to talk to a fellow rider while on the road
- You can select the color that you want between black, red, and white
- It comes with a charger and cable for recharging the Bluetooth connector
- It has a microphone that cancels noise from the surrounding
- The visor cannot be used when there is fog. You will have to buy anti-fog visor additionally if needed
Questions to Answer Before Buying a Motorcycle Helmet Bluetooth Kit
While this review analyzes some of the best Bluetooth helmet motorcycle models, there are many more things you should know about helmets. I want you to enjoy your biking experience, but it will happen if you make the right choices in buying your equipment. This is why, in this section, I will provide useful insights to some of the frequently asked questions about a good Bluetooth motorcycle helmet.
While the helmet is primarily used as a protective gear for riders, manufacturers have become innovative and improved their design features over the years. Thanks to innovation incorporation of Bluetooth technology into a helmet, now it is a reality.
Though simple, this design feature resulted in a new level of the whole biking experience. This is because you can easily pair the Bluetooth system with your mobile phone and comfortably listen to music, answer and make calls without getting your phone out of the pocket. Also, depending on the helmet brand chosen, the Bluetooth helmets can help you to connect with other riders and even conveniently get GPS locations without any form of distraction.
The basics of Bluetooth technology is that it utilizes piconets in place of wires. Piconets are short-range networks that facilitate two or more devices to connect without the need for cables.
For helmets with Bluetooth systems, the biker has to ensure the device is charged up and turn it on by a simple press of a button. You can then connect the Bluetooth system with your phone or even with other riders near to form a network. This way, you will be able to listen to your music or have a smooth conversation with your fellow biker friends.
The choice of whether to buy a Bluetooth helmet or headset is largely influenced by cost and technical know-hows placed in the devices. On the issue of cost, the Bluetooth helmet comes with an already in-built Bluetooth system. For this, the prices of these helmets are quite high.
On the other hand, if you know your way around technological gadgets, you can purchase the headset at a considerably lower price and install the Bluetooth system into it by yourself. However, the resulting sum may appear event higher, and you will spend much more efforts compared to just buying a Bluetooth helmet. The next time you go shopping for a helmet, consider a brand with an in-built Bluetooth system.
The decision on the best motorcycle helmet Bluetooth should be made influenced by several aspects. Among the common factors you should consider, there are the following:
- Price: in any purchase decision, the cost of the product will determine whether you go for option A or B. As such, only consider helmets that are within your price range.
- Range: A helmet with a maximum Bluetooth range is preferable for bikers that operate in large groups. It is also the most desirable as it comes with top of the range features. However, this means you have to pay more. For example, a top-level helmet can have a maximum range of 100 meters. A class two, which is the most common one, has a range of 10 meters while class three have a maximum range of 1 meter only.
- Quality of the sound: A major problem you may experience with Bluetooth helmets is the issue of background noises. This is common due to the wind and other things when riding. To avoid them, I recommend buying a helmet with an advanced anti-noise system that can automatically adjust the speaker and microphone volumes depending on the amount of background noise.
Should You Get One of These Gears?
If you are looking for the best motorcycle helmet speakers Bluetooth, the options just became clearer based on this review. I have provided you with insights on some of the important factors to consider when buying a Bluetooth helmet.
When choosing the helmet, remember to consider such things as is the gear DOT certified? How clear is the visor? Does it have an in-built Bluetooth system? How strong is the chin strap? Will it hold tight on the head and not disturb you while riding? How dense are the cheek pads and are they washable? And does it have in-built sunglasses? Is it within your budget range? By answering these questions, you will build a clear picture and decide on the helmet model quickly.
Have you used any of the reviewed models before? Do you have a Bluetooth helmet? If yes, how is your experience with it so far? Let me know your stories below, and I will be happy to answer any questions related to helmets if you have some.