Best Motorcycle Ear Plugs for a Comfortable Ride in 2020
Though motorbikes are fast and stylish, they’re also much louder than cars and don’t have cabins with noise isolation to keep your ears safe. That’s why motorbike riders are at a high risk of developing serious hearing problems. If you are a moto enthusiast like me, this article is for your consideration.
According to the American Academy of Audiology, noises that are louder than 85dB can cause permanent hearing loss if your ears are exposed to such noise level for over 30 minutes. Most motorcycles produce from 80dB to 100dB, so using hearing protection is essential.
I faced hearing issues last year, and that took a lot of time and money to recover. I thought that I wouldn’t have any problems if I wear a high-quality full-face helmet, but I was wrong. Ear plugs for motorcycle riders are also a must-have item on the road. I don’t recommend you to neglect this precautionary measure as this indiscretion may lead to deafness. After treatment, I tested many models of earplugs, and now I want to share my findings with you.
Read this motorcycle ear plugs review and keep safe!
Top 7 Motorcycle Ear Plugs
Vibes High Fidelity Earplugs – Invisible Ear Plugs for Motorcycle Riders
These earplugs provide excellent protection for your hearing, regardless of the noise level produced by your two-wheeler. I tested them on both sports bikes that produce high-frequency noises and on choppers with low bass roaring. The material of these micro plugs can reduce harmful decibel levels by up to 22db. It means that your ears won’t suffer, but you will hear everything clearly enough in the traffic flow. However, they’re not enough for extremely loud sports events.
VHFE also includes attenuating filters that reduce the volume without damaging sound fidelity. Although this option is more useful for musicians and their fans, as a rider, you will benefit on the streets as well. Professional sound filtering lets you hear all the traffic noises clearly, which ensures your safety on the road.
The design of these earplugs makes them nearly invisible. The hold of the item is made of transparent hypoallergenic plastic. As a result, no one will notice these plugs when you’re outside. Another benefit of their compact design is the reduced risk of the pinna damage if something hits your head in a road accident. The item is also big enough on the plugging side so that the plug doesn’t get too deep.
The package includes a pair of invisible plugs with reusable soft gum filters. You can easily remove them if they get dirty or tear up and replace the old pair with a new one. Fortunately, the package includes 2 extra pairs of ear tips. What I don’t like is that these plugs are all of the different sizes. It’s a good feature for finding the right size for your ears, but they may be unacceptable for your ear shape when you need to replace worn-out ear tips.
Besides, there is a hard plastic case that you can use to keep your pair of Vibes clean and safe when you don’t need it. The case is compact enough to fit inside any pocket of your motorcycle jacket.
Vibes High Fidelity Earplugs are the best motorcycle ear plugs for drivers who are not looking for extreme protection. It’s perfect for everyday rides in heavy traffic and highways. You can also get a pair for your children and other family members if they’re traveling with you.
- PROTECT YOUR EARS: Vibes Reusable High Fidelity Earplugs reduce damaging decibel levels to protect your ears in noisy areas without hurting sound quality. We’ve fitted noise-canceling earplugs with the best attenuating filters that lower volumes via filter specific frequencies vs outright noise cancellation. Thus our filtered sound reduction earbuds ensure a clear sound experience
- VIRTUALLY INVISIBLE AND REUSABLE: With clear outer shells and form-fitting low profile silicone earbuds each noise isolating earplug is nearly undetectable. Compared to bulky noticeable plugs Vibes are discrete
- MULTIPLE SIZES INCLUDED: Vibes are a comfortable, snug fit for all ear types. Adjustable silicone ear buds with sound blocking tips in multiple sizes (Small, Medium & Large) Perfect for men, women, kids, and adults to wear for long periods
- HEAR CLEARLY AND COMMUNICATE EASILY: Professional acoustic ear plug pairs quiet noisy environments while isolating and filtering everything clearly. Great for: concerts, musicians, drummers, guitarists, DJs, festivals, raves, construction, fitness classes, loud work environments, dental hygienists, nightclubs, bars, sports, motorcycles, sporting events, shows, noise sensitivity, and more.
- PORTABLE: Includes a hard portable case for travel. Top rated vibes are a memorable music gift for concert-goers and anyone with sensitive hearing in need of reducing volume levels.
- Lightweight design;
- Almost invisible design;
- Several sizes of ear tips;
- Convenient hard case;
- Cut up to 22dB of harmful noises.
- Not for professional racers.
Alpine MotoSafe Race Reusable Ear Plugs – Professional Ear Plugs for Motorcycle Riders
Unlike the previous product, this model of earplugs is designed not for multiple purposes, but is intended only for motorbike owners. The noise filter of these plugs can cut off up to 28dB, thus protecting your hearing on high speeds when you’re commuting through a highway or racing on a circuit. Still, it provides perfect audibility so that you can hear your navigator and your helmet’s commutation system. If you’re not a racer, you will enjoy the perfectly normalized audibility of the environment.
The Alpine filter doesn’t merely block sounds. Instead, it lets the sound come into your ears through a thin pipe that damps harmful noise without muffling the overall soundscape. It works like an automatic music equalizer that flattens the sound properly to let you hear every instrument clearly.
Due to the compact size of the bud, you won’t feel plugs under your helmet. During long journeys and races, you can be sure that they won’t fall out because of sweating. Besides, they’re made of a non-abrasive material that doesn’t cause allergy and skin irritation. The unique design of soft filters makes it easy for you to plug the item in, independently from your ear size. To make it even more simple, you can use the plugging instrument that comes inside the box. Pulling out these plugs is also very comfortable, due to thin gum ‘whiskers’.
The default pouch for earplugs is thin and compact, which makes it more comfortable to carry in small pockets than the case by Vibes. Moreover, you can clip it to your keychain, and you won’t ever lose this pouch. It’s also impossible to crack it by accident. What I don’t like about this pouch is that it features a zipper for closing. It means that you cannot open and close it as fast as the flipping case by Vibes.
Alpine MotoSafe Race Reusable Ear Plugs are an excellent choice for both racers and commuters who need even, scientifically approved protection. They’re small, imperceptible, and don’t make it harder to perceive important information on the road. If the Pro model seems too powerful for your needs, you can order the Tour version with softer noise reduction.
- PREVENT HEARING DAMAGE: Environmental noises can easily reach 100 Decibels at just 75 Miles per hour. This means that chronic hearing damage can be done in just 7 minutes! These High attenuation motorcycle earplugs are ideal ear protection for racing on circuits.
- ENJOY YOUR RACE: The special AlpineAcousticFilter will ensure that your engine, communication systems and navigation are still Audible. MotoSafe earplugs reduce wind and ambient noises, so riding your motorcycle is a much better experience!
- COMFORTABLE UNDER HELMET: The ultra soft earplugs are perfect match for motorbike helmet! You can take them out easily as well. The unique material adapts to your ear canal for the best fit, also great for longer rides as they do not irritate or give presure.
- TESTED AND CERTIFIED: Thoroughly tested and proven to reach noise reduction at 20 dB SNR in accordance with US & EU Regulations. The patented AlpineThermoShape material is Hypoallergenic, Sustainable and without silicone; so no allergic reactions!
- AWARD-WINNING DUTCH DESIGN | Alpine is an innovator and leader in quality hearing protection with 25 years R&D experience. All products are designed and produced in The Netherlands. A wide variety of earplugs ensure that you can do what you love to do without risking ear damage!
- Imperceptible design;
- Free soft pouch in the box;
- Racing and touring versions;
- Smart noise filtering.
- It’s inconvenient to open and close the zipper of the pouch.
Mudeela High Fidelity Concert Earplugs – Hearing Protection Ear Plugs
This set of earplugs combines many prominent features. The first thing that you notice when looking at this offer is the number of plugs in the case. Although it’s not bigger than the cases of the competitors of the brand, it can carry up to 3 pairs of earplugs at the same time. Now, let’s take a closer look at each pair.
The main set includes 2 high-fidelity earplugs made of durable non-abrasive materials. The form of the product lets it adjust to any pinna size and shape, and it’s easy to wear the plugs on and take them off due to a prolonged holder. The material is almost transparent, so it’s hard to see these earplugs while a person is using them. The noise reduction quality is high enough for everyday commuting on your motorbike as it cuts off up to 23dB. According to NRR (Noise Reduction Ratings), it’s enough to block the majority of harmful noises produced by the environment and wind. In fact, I didn’t notice any extra benefits of the double sound filtration, but it does what it is intended for, and it’s great.
The second pair is designed for blocking slightly louder noises as it cuts off up to 27dB. It’s a convenient solution for racers. This model provides high-quality hearing protection but still lets you perceive important sound information coming from the environment and your helmet intercom. Unfortunately, these plugs have a less attractive design, and it’s easy for someone to see them in your ears. Non-abrasive silicone is easy to clean, but sometimes it may feel too slick if your ears sweat.
Finally, the pair of foam earplugs isn’t useful for motorcyclists as it cuts off 32dB and doesn’t have a channel for high frequencies, making the sound muffled and hard to perceive. You can use them to sleep better anyway, so it’s a nice bonus. I recommend this set of earbuds to all motorcycle owners who need an all-in-one solution. It’s also a good option to figure out which level of noise reduction is the best for you. Another advantage is that this bundle is available in black and pink colors.
- 【Effectively Protect Your Hearing】Your ears will get the best protection with our high fidelity ear plugs; which evenly reduce harmful noise to normal levels and soften the sound source; Your ears will never be tortured again at loud events or work with Mudella's concert earplugs
- 【NRR 23db; You Can Still Hear】 Worried you can't hear music or conversations while wearing concert and musicians ear plugs; No longer a problem; Our newest patented attenuation filters can better filter out harmful noise while preserving sound quality; allows you to hear what you want to hear clearly
- 【Comfortable and Invisible; Fit Most Standard and Small Ears】New radian design fits more into the ear canal and the soft material gives you a comfortable touch; Perfect for prolonged wear; Low-profile design makes the concert ear plugs invisible; no one knows the secret in your ears; Appropriate smaller size design make our high fidelity earplugs fit both standard and small ears
- 【Including 3 Pairs of Different Earplugs】3 different types of earplugs included with every order to meet your different needs; High fidelity ear plugs for concerts musicians drummers dj live music festivals motorcycle riding and work; Silicone and foam ear plugs for decompression sleeping and noise reduction
- 【Easy to Store and Clean】Comes with a portable case to safely store and protect your concert motorcycle music ear plugs; 100% reusable; so you can always have your high fidelity concert ear plugs in your hands; Easy to clean by gently wiping the concert earplugs with a wet tissue or cloth
- Available in 2 colors;
- Three types of earplugs in the box;
- Extra durable compact case;
- Blocks up to 32dB;
- Double filtering technology.
- It takes quite long to open and close the case.
EarPeace Motorcycle Ear Plugs – Noise Reduction and High Fidelity Hearing Protection
Hearing protection by EarPeace can compete for the title of the best motorcycle ear plugs due to compliance with norms of NRR (Noise Reduction Ratings) and SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio). The high-tech filter includes 3 filtering layers that can reduce noises varying from 13dB to 26dB. The Medium Protection filter cuts off from 13dB to 20dB, the High filter blocks from 16dB to 21dB, and the Max filter cuts up to 27db, which is enough for racing.
All these dimensions are approved by EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), which is an excellent quality validation. Another quality proof is the support of the brand by such brands as RedBull and Ford. Professional drivers who take part in Ford Racing and Red Bull GRC Rallycross have been officially using them for around 10 years, and I understand the reasons behind their choice.
Each filter in the set performs separately to fulfill your demands. For example, the Max filter is inactive when you’re talking to your mates, but it starts reducing heavier vibrations when you ignite the engine and accelerate.
EarPeace ear plugs come with an aluminum case that looks the same as products by Alpine and Mudeela. However, there is a difference. The case is separated into 2 parts. The bigger one is designed for the main pair of earplugs, while the smaller part is for the third plug that you can use in case you lose or break one.
The materials avoid slippering and skin irritation even during lengthy, intense races. It’s easy to clean the plugs afterward, but they require longer drying than their analogs by other brands. Water stays inside because of the complex structure of filters. On the other hand, you can avoid inconveniences by cleaning them using wet antibacterial tissues.
This Model by EarPeace offers excellent 3-in-1 protection against hearing issues. You can consider it for both professional racing and daily motorcycle commuting. This product meets all the official requirements and has the trust of US racers.
- PERFECT FIT: Select Standard or Small Size Plugs depending on your ear canal size. Standard Size Plugs fit 80% of men, women and teens. Please select Small Size Plugs if you’ve had previous issues keeping ear plugs or ear buds in your ear, or if you’ve had previous discomfort with these products.
- SITUATIONAL AWARENESS EAR PLUGS FOR MOTORCYCLE RIDING: Clearly hear approaching traffic, listen to your comms under your helmet, and ride in comfort with noise cancelling ear plugs designed for wind and motorcycle noise reduction.
- ALL DAY COMFORT & PERFECT FIT: These premium silicone earplugs for motorcycles are soft, hypoallergenic and offer loud noise ear protection. Motorcycle helmets fit over the top without irritation allowing you to ride in comfort, safely, without the pressure or itching felt with other reusable ear plugs.
- QUALITY AND VALUE: EarPeace motorcycle ear plugs include Medium, High and Max filter sets. The hearing protection ear plugs also come with a milled aluminum case that has two chambers allowing you to safely store your spare noise cancelling ear plug.
- INDUSTRY STANDARD: Brands like RedBull Global Rally Cross and Ford Racing carry EarPeace as their motorcylce ear protection because they know we make the highest quality ear plugs. EarPeace's noise reduction and motorcycle ear protection make riders’ ears happy ears!
- Available in black and red colors;
- Compact size;
- Set of three filters;
- Invisible design;
- Three protective layers.
- The same problem with opening the case as in the item by Mudeela.
Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs for Motorcycles – Quality & Utility
High Fidelity Earplugs by Eargasm is the last but not the least option on the market. The brand offers high-quality plush silicone earplugs that can provide decent protection in a large variety of situations, including medium-loud motorcycle rides. The filters by Eargasm can block up to 21dB off harmful noises, without distracting you from important sounds.
I also noticed that the metallic attenuation filter membrane makes loud incoming noises less tangible without making you feel that you perceive less information. It cuts off excess vibrations and doesn’t muffle sounds that aren’t too loud. This technology is more effective and durable than fiber membranes that cut high frequencies too much and usually tend to get dirty too quickly.
The package includes 2 pairs of plugs so that you can choose the size that fits your ears best. If you have very small ear canals, you’d better order a smaller version. If you don’t like the blue color of filters, you can get the transparent model.
Both these pairs are highly durable, yet soft enough to prevent compression pain. It’s easy to pull them in and out due to long pull tabs that are similar to options offered by other brands. Fortunately, there’s no instrument for pulling them in. I don’t like that I have to use a special stick to put my Alpine earplugs in, but it’s up to you to decide whether you need a smaller size or more convenient plugging experience.
The set also comes with a thick waterproof aluminum case that looks more compact than cases by competitors, but it’s actually an optical illusion that makes the product look differently. To my mind, the marketing campaign for this product is too pompous for such a niche product. However, my tests proved that all the claimed characteristics are real.
If the price looks too high, you should consider that Eargasm provides full support and can send you free replacement parts if you live in the US. If not, you will still be satisfied with the quality of protection.
- PROTECT YOUR HEARING from harmful noise levels at loud events. Cut out excess sound from everyday life and your favorite activities.
- PRESERVES SOUND QUALITY with our patent pending innovative attenuation filters. Reduces noise evenly to maintain the full spectrum of sound while protecting hearing. Won’t muffle music or voices as foam plugs do.
- GET THE PERFECT FIT with two pairs of different sized earplug shells included with every order. Fits most normal to large ear sizes. Insert the included pair of attenuation filters into preferred shell size and earplugs are ready for immediate use!
- HYPOALLERGENIC PLUSH SILICONE earplug shells are non-toxic and comfortable for prolonged wear. Won’t cause itching or pressure pain. Ideal for all-day wear at festivals and long band practices.
- ERGONOMIC ALUMINUM CASE is over 35% shorter than competing brands for easy storage on your keychain. An anti-stick interior guarantees earplugs will always be easily removable. Waterproof rubber seal ensures their protection from moisture, dust and debris. Threading is uniquely placed on exterior of canister to prevent damage to earplugs when opening and closing.
- Two shell sizes included;
- Compact case size;
- Wide range of settings;
- The easiest cleaning due to removable filters;
- US-based support and free replaceable parts.
- The average price tag is relatively high.
- Easy to see these plugs inside your ears (but you can get transparent ones).
Motorcycle Ear Plugs with Speakers
If you are a kind of driver who can’t go without your favorite soundtrack, you surely want your earplugs to have speakers. Such models are also of high use if your helmet isn’t Bluetooth-ready and you need a device to stay connected to your smartphone on the go.
Ruckus Earplug Earbuds: OSHA Compliant Noise Reduction in-Ear Headphones
These Elgin’s classic-shape earplugs provide high-quality noise isolation and surprisingly good sound quality. Although the cost of these earplugs is relatively low, they manage to cut off up to 25dB of outer noises and let you enjoy the music, podcasts, and audiobooks without getting distracted from the environment. Noise-isolating silicone doesn’t provide the environment recognition of such clear rate as the models above because the core filter is replaced by the speakers. Nevertheless, the construction meets ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards.
My own experience with this model was mostly positive. I like that the cord is long enough to hide it under the jacket. The 3,5 mini jack is compatible with most modern smartphones, and it’s strengthened with a hard rubber coating to prevent cable breaking. The manufacturer also claims that the cable is coated with Kevlar strand, which means that it can serve for years. In addition, you can keep these plugs in a convenient zip case that lets you avoid knots. Moreover, the case has a useful metal clip for carrying it on the belt or your keychain.
The only thing that I don’t like in this model is that there’s no overmolding on the section where the cord is attached to the earplug. Such type of a construction makes it easier for you to rip out the cord if you pull it hard enough. Still, I didn’t try to do it. My verdict is based on the observation.
- WORKPLACE ENHANCEMENT: The power is yours to decide what you listen to, not dictated by surrounding jackhammers, power tools, or loud machinery. Perfect for woodworking, exercising, metalworking, landscaping, travel, or even sleep
- BUILT FOR WORK: Ruckus earplug earbuds are designed to work as hard as you do. The IP65 weatherproof enclosure, Kevlar reinforced cables and triple-molded audio jack ensure they will stand up to the job at hand
- PATENT PENDING TECHNOLOGY: Overmolded design completely seals out dust, debris, and moisture
- NOISE REDUCING DESIGN: Engineered to seal out noise and carries the EPA issued NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) of 25 decibels recognized by OSHA to meet ANSI standards
- IMMERSIVE SOUND: Out with the bad and in with the good. Our headphones use biocompatible silicone earplugs that form a complete and comfortable seal, letting you capture the full range of the custom-tuned drivers while listening to your favorite playlist, podcast, or audiobook
- IP65 Splash Proof Rating;
- Convenient soft case;
- Good sound quality;
- Industrial design looks professional;
- Available in 2 colors.
- No microphone;
- Requires medium or big ear channels.
Snug Phones Wireless Silicon BLUETOOTH Ear Plug Headphones – Best Motorcycle Ear Plugs With Speakers
These are my favorite electronic earplugs as they combine fine noise reduction capabilities with superior assembly quality and clear sound. Due to the Bluetooth transmitter, you achieve full freedom of movement while driving and when you get off the motorcycle. The fiber cord coating prevents the wire from breaking. On the other hand, this material soaks moisture. Fortunately, it’s not a problem as the electronic modules have IPX-6 water protection. It means that this device is protected against high-pressure water streams, but it is not likely to survive in case of drowning.
The user experience of Snug Phones is quite smooth. You can keep them on for 8 hours if you set the volume on 100% (which is bad for your hearing), 10 hours on 80%, and 12 hours on 60%. In fact, my iPhone 8 can’t stream music via Bluetooth for so long, so such a high battery capacity is more than enough for your long-journey playlists and conversations. The remote control module includes 3 buttons that you can use to tune volume, skip or repeat songs, and to pair the headset with your smartphone. The quality of speakers is high enough for all music genres, podcasts, and calls.
The quality of noise reduction is similar to Ruckus Earplugs. You can clearly hear the sound of the environment along with the music, so it’s safe to use these headphones in city traffic and on the highway. Snug Phones is a reliable solution if you’re looking for a headset that can handle both long trips and daily commuting without frequent recharging.
- THEY NEVER FALL OUT - In ear earbuds, Made with a micro speaker that sits right inside of the ear canal, These headphones take your mind off of fiddling with the headphones and onto your workout. Silicon sport earbuds that fit directly into the ear canal so they never move even during the most in vigorous exercises.
- SO COMFORTABLE YOU WILL NEVER NEED TO RE-ADJUST - Designed as a sport earphone so you can put into your ear canal and never have to re adjust.
- SWEATPROOF WIRELESS HEADPHONES - IPX6 waterproof rating means you can sweat all over these bluetooth gym headphones and never have to worry about them shorting out. An amazing bluetooth running headphone designed for rain, sweat and washing after use.
- BLUETOOTH EARBUDS WITH MIC - Easy to pick up and drop calls while using the mic feature. With amazing call audio, your friends, family and business associates will not even be able to tell they are speaking to you through a bluetooth headset mic.
- 8-12 HOURS OF NON STOP MUSIC - PATENT PENDING DESIGN - THE ONLY IN EAR CANAL bluetooth workout headphones. 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. Currently on the 5th generation of Snugphones, as we have addressed issues from reviews from customers including length.
- Wireless Bluetooth connection;
- Convenient remote controls;
- Built-in microphone;
- IPX6 waterproof;
- Up to 12 hours of uninterrupted music.
- Much more expensive than Elgin’s earplugs;
- Buttons can be hard to reach with some helmets on.
Safe and Sound
Now you know everything about the best motorcycle ear plugs. Pick up the option that suits your needs and matches your budget, and you will reduce the risk of hearing issues to a minimum. You can either get simple ear plugs to save money or get a pair of electronic ones as they’re the best motorcycle ear plugs for drivers who love long trips with a matching soundtrack. Everything is up to you.
The noise level without earplugs can be above 100dB even if you ride at normal speed, and even the most tight-fitting helmet won’t provide you with suitable hearing protection. I cannot prescribe you ear plugs for motorcycle riders like my doctor did, but you can listen to my advice and leave all risks behind. Otherwise, you may face hearing issues that can make riding a bike impossible for a long time. If you have any questions about the products that I review, you’re welcome to ask them in the comments. And did you use any earplugs before? Share your experience below and stay tuned as more reviews are on the way.