Many bikers enjoy long rides, and we all know how important comfortable motorcycle gear is for these long rides. In reality, many would confirm the major discomforts and pains that a rider experiences after riding on rough terrain with poorly built seat cushions.
However, those with high-quality and well-cushioned seat pads do not share this struggle. Their riding experience remains amazing no matter of long hours they spend on the bikes, and they would even want to go for the next ride as soon as they are done with the previous one. Best motorcycle seat pads make the experience comfortable, even when riding on bumpy roads for hours. You won’t get the shocks and won’t feel any pain, thanks to the seat pad protection during rides.
Just like most riders, I find joy in taking long adventurous rides, and I’ve done it for some time now. To ensure my experience remains pleasant, I constantly research motorcycles and the newest bike gear, with my attention being focused on the discovery of comfort-enhancing tools.
I have used several seat cushions so far, and some of them appeared uncomfortable, while others were pretty cozy. Eventually, I managed to compile a list of the best seat pads available. In this guide, I’ll discuss high-quality seat cushion models available on the market and tell you what features to take into account when purchasing the most comfortable motorcycle seat pad.
Detailed Reviews of the 7 Cool Motorcycle Seat Pads for Long Rides
- Airhawk R-REVB Cushion – Tip Pick
- Air Seat Innovations Seat Cushion – Premium Choice
- Skwoosh Classic – Good Choice
- ASI Motorcycle Air Seat Cushion – Runner Up
- Skwoosh MSAF0910 Black Breathable Mesh – Budget Choice
While comfort is an essential point to keep in mind, there are other things to look at when purchasing such an accessory. These elements may make a difference in choosing one model over the other. So, you have to understand what you require before settling on a random product. Read about these best motorcycle seat pads for long rides below and choose the right item wisely.
1. Airhawk R-REVB Cushion – The Best Motorcycle Seat Pad
- PRESSURE POINT SUPPORT - Built-in stress relieving features reduce pressure point on tailbone, scrotum, and prostate for a more comfortable ride
- EVERLASTING COMFORT - Patented air cell technology in the cushion prevents pressure injuries and ensures a longer, more enjoyable ride without any pain
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Center cutout area runs front to back of cushion while a back cutaway allows for a tail bone relief area with a tapered transition for increased comfort
- MATERIAL - Air pad is made of durable polyurethane and cover is made of breathable spacer mesh cloth with red vinyl accent, 3-layers of knit polyester for air circulation, and non-skid bottom
- AIR CELL CUSHION - Cell height lowers on front for better leg passage and almost no effect on ride height and the re-designed cell geometry improves airflow under the rider
This top pick is an incredible product by Airhawk. It’s a popular firm that produces exceptional-quality accessories that most riders are acquainted with. Besides quality, this company puts much focus on coziness and safety in building their products.
This pad can accommodate riders of various sizes, thanks to the air-cell technology. This innovation helps to conform to the rider’s anatomy to avert injuries while enabling a long comfortable ride. If you are worried about potential injuries, I want to mention that this seat has a skid-prof bottom that will prevent you from sliding off the bike, thus, avoiding injuries.
This model has several attributes that add to its comfortability. Air-cell technology plays a crucial role in supporting your pressure points. Moreover, this item has a great design, with center cutaway runs that go all the way to the back for the tailbone. This feature, together with the breathable mesh that consists of three layers of thick polyester for improved air conditioning, ensures ultimate comfort for long rides.
With this cushion, your leg positioning and sitting height won’t be affected. The pad height is lower in the front which allows for avoiding the seat lifting and ensures the comfort of your legs. Also, the model is straightforward to fix for proper airflow and adequate cooling.[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”Positives:”]
- Superior airflow for cooling
- An ergonomic design
- A high-quality material
- Protects from injuries
- Conforms to your body
- It May be too costly for some
2. Air Seat Innovations Seat Cushion – The Best Motorcycle Seat Pad for Pressure Relief
- [ FITMENT ] 14.5"x14" -This motorcycle air seat cushion is made to fit: large cruisers, all touring models, adventure touring most motorcycles with a full seat, UTV 's and Side by Sides. Easily adjusts to your shape for a custom fit. Air Seat Innovations front rider seat pad was designed to cover a wide array of fitment, we also offer a smaller front cushion for sport bikes and also a rear cushion.
- PROMOTES BLOOD CIRCULATION ... Air Seat Innovations motorcycle seat cushions feel great on long rides because they promote blood flow through your lower body.
- ABSORBS SHOCK FROM BUMPY ROADS ... Motorcycle shocks not so great? Our air seat cushion for motorcycle absorbs the vibration and bumps your suspension couldn't handle.
- REDUCES PRESSURE ... Your cocyx and butt will thank you for using an inflatable air seat cushion on your motorbike. Now you can focus on the road and enjoying the ride.
- QUALITY COMFORTABLE MATERIALS ... Using only top-of-the-line, durable materials with a washable cover, your ASI motorcycle seat cushion is made to last as long as your bike or even longer
Here is a remarkable product from a brand that is popular and renowned for innovative solutions. It has been manufacturing high-quality bike seat cushions for many years, and many riders opt for this company’s product when choosing the right fit for their bike seats.
With dimensions of 14.5 by 14 inches, this seat cushion is designed for large cruisers, those using bikes with a full seat, and touring models, among others. The pad is adjustable to fit your motorcycle’s seat shape and has a bigger rear cushioning for enjoyable long rides.
The cushion takes comfort to a whole new level. If you love riding on rough terrains and uneven roads, then this model might be the right seat pad for you. It features a superb cushioning system that absorbs any shock that may arise from driving on rough terrains and keeps your pressure points relaxed. It means that you won’t have to deal with unbearable vibrations, even on the most uneven roads.
The brand uses its unique air technology that aids in relieving one’s pressure points. The technique ensures a comfortable sitting position and proper body weight dispersion to allow adequate blood flow to your legs. I can say that you won’t find such a well-designed seat cushion, and any other brand on the market can’t compete with the ergonomics of this one.
You will love the quality of this model. The pad is made from exceptional durable material to make it last for an extended time. The inner air bladder, for instance, is made from first-class quality neoprene rubber. You can easily install this model on your bike since it is made in a shape that’s acceptable for most large models. Besides, it has convenient straps that can be adjusted to keep the cushion on your bike. These straps are easy to fix and adjust when needed.[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”Positives:”]
- Made of a high-quality material
- Ensures comfortable long rides
- A machine-washable cover
- An advanced air technology
- Properly fits large seats
- Straps may loosen if not tightened properly
3. Skwoosh Classic – The Best Motorcycle Seat Pad for Long Rides with Gel-Based Cushioning
- Shape and thickness designed for stock and reduced reach seats. Pad won't change distance to pegs and lower controls
- Maintains ergonomic design of any seat. Breathable AirFlo mesh fabric for a cooler ride
- Air channel design directs airflow where it's needed most. Lightweight gel relieves pressure on "sitz" bones
- Cutaway tailbone relief. Folds for easy storage. Easy Elastic Attachment secures under horn or use the Snap Strap attachment
- No maintenance - welded construction - durable fabrics - non-skid bottom anchors cushion to seat
Unlike most other pads, this Skwoosh model is a gel-based cushion that ensures comfort during long rides. Such a type of pillows is effective in absorbing and dispersing pressure evenly which helps to relieve pressure points and allows extra comfort for bikers that spend long hours on their bikes.
This affordable pad has an ergonomic design that adds comfort, especially when exploring bumpy terrains. On top of that, it has a breathable AirFlow mesh fabric that facilitates airflow and cools you down during hot afternoon rides. Its design promotes the proper air conditioning for increased cooling.
Some cushions increase riding height which makes it difficult for the rider to reach the pegs. However, this cushion will not cause such an inconvenience, as it doesn’t affect the distance to pegs and doesn’t lower the controls.
With measurements of 14.25 inches on the rear and 6.5 inches towards the front, this pad can fit on many seats, and it should be big enough for large riders. The cushion is lightweight and compact so that you can fold it when you want to store the item.
Installing this model shouldn’t give you a hard time, as it comes with clear instructions. Besides, the process is straightforward since you are only required to connect the attachments underneath the seat to hold the cushion in place.
If you tend to ride in extreme conditions, like hot weather, rain, and dust, then this cushion will have you sorted. It is made of durable fabrics that can withstand tough conditions. Besides, it has a welded construction that does not require much maintenance.[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”Positives:”]
- Gel-based cushioning
- Foldable hence easy to store
- An ergonomic design
- Has an elastic attachment to fit on the bike
- AirFlow breathable mesh
- It May be tedious to pick the perfect size
4. ASI Motorcycle Air Seat Cushion – The Best Motorcycle Seat Pad for Small Seats
- ✔ UNIVERSAL FIT ANY MOTORCYCLE ... Rear Cushion 12" x 9.5" x 2" fits onto any motorcycle
- ✔ MADE FOR PASSENGER ... Our rear seat cushion for motorcycle makes riding on the back comfortable and safe
- ✔ ADJUSTABLE ... Easily adjusts and straps securely in place
- ✔ WEATHER RESISTANT NEOPRENE RUBBER ... Our premium neoprene resists even the harshest weather when left outside or in big rain storms
- ✔ AIR SEAT INNOVATIONS MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES
You can’t talk about creative and innovative solutions in motorbike seat gear without mentioning Air Seat Innovations. The brand uses advanced technology to produce products that will make you comfortable during your motorcycle rides.
The brand went a notch higher beyond the standard materials to design this air cushion. This pad is filled with air in spaces that would typically contain gel or foam to give riders the utmost comfort. This way, the air spreads evenly to relieve your pressure points and protect your back.
You can easily inflate or deflate the air pad whenever you wish. The cushion has a zipper that exposes the air nozzle for inflating the seat pad. When the pad feels comfortable enough, you can zip it and fasten the item to the seat, using the attached straps. The straps have clips that allow attaching the model to the motorcycle easily. Besides, the pad grips the motorcycle seat well, thanks to the air technology. Thus, the item will stay in place for sure.
The size of this cushion enables it to absorb shock emanating from rough rides. Besides, it absorbs all the shocks produced by the bike’s engine.
Comfortability and efficient cooling are at their best in this model to ensure you have comfortable long rides. The material used to make this model is of high quality, and it stretches easily. This feature allows for improved airflow and better cooling. It also resists humidity, keeping you comfortable during any long ride.[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”Positives:”]
- Air technology allows the absorbing shock
- Relieves pressure points
- Air circulation keeps the seat coo
- Extra comfort during long rides
- You can set the height
- Has to be inflated with one’s mouth which can be a problem for some people
- You will have to inflate this item frequently for utmost comfort
5. Skwoosh MSAF0910 Black Breathable Mesh – The Most Comfortable Motorcycle Seat
- Breathable mesh fabric circulates air for natural cooling. Air channel design directs air flow between user's legs
- Fluidized gel cradles the "sitz" bones for long ride cushioning and comfort. Tailbone relief reduces spinal compression and pressure
- Maintenance-free welded construction with durable fabrics. Convenient, lightweight, compact and folds for storage
- Low profile pad - no height adjustment is necessary. Non-slip bottom anchors cushion to seat
- Safety elastic Snap Strap is included for easy installation. Made in USA
Let’s take a look at another top-quality product by Skwoosh. The brand strives to combine gel technology with high-tech fabrics to design cushions that offer long-term comfort. I want to note that this cushion is made using welded construction with long-lasting fabric that doesn’t require much maintenance.
A standout feature of this cushion is the ergonomic and stylish mesh fabric used in its manufacturing, and the model is designed with the rider’s comfort in mind. Besides, it features an air-channel technology that improves air circulation and enhances cooling. As a result, the pad limits the build-up of moisture hence preventing discomfort.
This model is also among the few pads that use gel to relieve pressure points, like sit bones. It prevents spinal compression for a comfortable long-distance ride.
Riding height should never be a concern when using this pad for cushioning. It is because the cushion is not too thick, and its design won’t add to your sitting height in any way. The cushion also has a non-slip bottom that grips onto the motorcycle seat. As a result, it increased traction which helps the pud to stay in place during tough rides on bumpy roads.
If you ever had difficulties with installing motorcycle seat pads, then your problems end here. This pad features an elastic snap strap that helps you to fix the item with ease. Besides, it features easy-to-follow instructions within the package.
This pad comes in a great size that will fit most riders. With dimensions of 11 by 13 by 1 inch, it should be large enough for all types of bikes.[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”Positives:”]
- Easy maintenance
- Provides proper air circulation
- Has a non-slip bottom
- Easy to install
- Lightweight and compact
- Not waterproof
6. ConforMax Topper Excel Ultra-Flex – The Best Motorcycle Seat Cushion
- Made in the United States of America. Conformax Ultra-flex Hinged-design Topper gel cushions provide superior comfort for deep profile touring bike and cruiser seats. These Ultra-flex designs provide extra comfort and gel protection to the rider's lower back and rear buttocks, in addition to "sitz" bone protection on the flat portion of the seat.
- Conformax body conforming gel-on-foam technology offers better comfort than gel or foam alone. 1/2" Ultragel cast onto ½" high performance Ultrafoam ensures body conforming fit to the rider's anatomy. Reduces and equalizes sitting pressure.
- Low profile comfort. Only 1-1/4" thick, Length: 15" x Rear Width: 12" x Front Width: 6".
- All covers have a "grippy"-bottom and a handsome, durable top surface: The Airmax-3D Cool Ride cover provides excellent air-flow ventilation between the rider and cushion surface for extra cool comfort on long rides. Minimizes heat build-up on the seat when parked in full sun. Color Black.
- Attaches easily and safely to the seat with a secure, yet simple adjustable strap system (see photos). Choice of two types of strap systems included with each cushion: (Velcro-type hook & loop fastening system, or a universal D-Ring/Ear Tab). Simple, clear installation instructions assure extensive cushion positioning options for all fixed or removable bike seats and rider anatomies.
Here is a motorcycle seat pad of exceptional quality by ConforMax. This product combines both gel and foam cushioning to provide you with the utmost comfort, as it easily conforms to the shape of your body. It ensures you have a pain-free riding experience, superior to what you would get from pads made from foam or gel alone.
This pad is available in up to twelve different sizes, so be sure you can pick the perfect size for yourself. So, before buying, make sure to measure your seat and then choose the right pad. Note that almost all the cushions have a wider rear that reduces towards the front for increased comfort.
This model has a grippy underside to hold onto the seat properly, and it prevents the item from slipping off. The top has an AirMax-3D Cool Ride feature that ensures proper airflow to prevent heat build-up between the seat and the rider. It also wicks away moisture, keeping you dry and cool during the whole ride.
Do you experience pain after riding for long hours? Then take a look at this pad, as it’s Ultra-Flex design aids in protecting the lower back and preventing any possible strains. And since the gel-foam technology conforms to your anatomy, there’s a low likelihood that you’ll experience any pain even from the longest rides.
Quick and straightforward installation is another thing you’ll love about this model. It has simple-to-use adjustable straps that you need to attach to the seat. The straps are strong enough to hold the item to the seat securely, ensuring extra safety. There are two strap systems available, namely the Velcro-type system and the Universal D-Ring system. Each of these options comes with clear installation instructions for easy fixing on all bike seats.
Just like most other products made in the US, this seat pad is manufactured from high-quality materials. So, be sure you will get a durable product if you settle on this one.[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”Positives:”]
- Conforms to your body shape for extra comfort
- Available in a variety of sizes for all types of seats
- Easy to install
- Features two strapping systems
- Maybe a little bit stiff for some riders
7. Gel Pad Seat Cushion – The Best Motorcycle Seat Cushion for Passengers
While the majority of seat pads on this list are for riders, this cushion by Sturgis is the best motorcycle seat cushion created for passengers. The brand produces incredible products with a focus on comfort and quality.
Do you go for long rides with loved ones, or do you transport passengers over long distances from time to time? Provide your passengers with a great riding experience, even on bumpy roads, by opting for this seat cushion for your bike.
The pad contains three layers of gel and foam that are thick enough to provide the desired comfort. The thick layers are designed to accommodate people of any weight and size, ensuring they remain comfortable throughout the journey. The pad is made from a breathable fabric that works similarly to an air passage to keep the seat cool throughout the long rides, even under the hot sun.
The combination of memory gel and foam is dense enough to absorb vibrations and keep your passenger comfortable, even on uneven roads. The cushion also has a non-slip surface so that you can be sure the passenger will remain on their seat when turning on tight bends.
Installing this cushion is super simple, as it goes on and comes off easily. At the same time, easy-to-connect straps hold the pad on the seat securely, so you won’t have to worry about your passenger while on the road.
[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”Positives:”]
- High-density pads
- Detachable straps for easy installation
- Absorbs vibrations
- Made for passengers
[/wpsm_pros][/wpsm_column][wpsm_column size=”one-half” position=”last”][wpsm_cons title=”Negatives:”]
- No air passage
- Takes too much time to dry after cleaning
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Motorcycle Seat Pad for Long Rides
Below, you can find some of the most important factors to keep in mind when choosing the right motorcycle seat pad. Note these guidelines and use them during your selection process.
Seat pads are available in a variety of materials, with sheepskin being the most expensive option. In general, the interior can consist of the following:
Sheepskin is a high-end material. It absorbs sweat to keep you cool in the summer and warm during the winter days. It is easy to dry, this material aids in the relaxation of the body, and it doesn’t generate a static charge. Sheepskin also looks classy and expensive.
Air cushions are the most commonly used interiors. They are great shock absorbers, making them ideal for bumpy roads. The air in the pads is transferred from one cell to another. It leads to the even distribution of pressure to prevent pain and numbness.
You can customize the comfort of an air cushion by inflating or deflating the pad to the desired extent. If you prefer a stiff seating pad, you will need to add more air, but if you want a soft seat, then you will need to reduce the amount of air in the pad. Compared to sheepskin seat pads, air-based cushions are usually more affordable.
Gel has been used to make wheelchairs, meaning gel cushions proved to be highly comfortable and efficient in protecting one’s backbone. Also, this type of pad can conform to your body shape. It enables the item to distribute body weight evenly, and this feature prevents straining of your body parts hence preventing numbness.
Foam works similarly to gel. However, you will require high-density foam to achieve the same level of comfort that gel-based pads offer. A dense foam pad might further affect your seating height. Due to that, you may see most cushions combining foam and gel to give the utmost comfort.
Such a pad with a combined interior is the best choice to protect you from back injuries. Besides being comfortable, foam cushions are good shock absorbers. They can prevent the effects of bumps and rough terrains.
Size and Shape
Motorcycle seat cushions are available in different shapes, sizes, and designs. Equally, there are different types of bikes with various dimensions. Therefore, it is essential to measure your motorcycle seat and know its size and shape before buying a seat pad.
This way, you can select a cushion that will perfectly fit your bike’s seat. Most pads come with the recommended motorcycle models on which they will fit best, and this information should make the selection process even easier.
Besides that, you should consider the height of the cushion. Some models are thicker and may affect your leg distance to the ground. It will eventually affect your riding experience.
You don’t want a cushion that will give you trouble fitting it to your motorcycle seat. Therefore, look for an item with convenient attachments, such as Velcro straps, D-ring, or elastic straps. The type of accessories to select depends on your preferences, so settle on the attachment that you think will offer more protection, is easy to fix and will give more stability. I find both Velcro and D-Ring systems pretty secure.
Depending on where you usually ride your motorcycle, you might need to choose a specific seat pad that suits those conditions. For instance, a sheepskin pad will be the best choice if you are riding in hot weather because it helps to regulate the temperature and provides a cooling effect. On the other hand, air-based cushions or models with a combination of gel and foam inside will be perfect if you are going to ride for long hours and might need extra support.
Down below, you can find my expert answers to some of the most popular questions regarding seat pads for bikes. I hope that this information will be useful for you and will help you to make an informed decision.
How do I select the right seat cushion size?
For the most part, manufacturers specify the exact dimensions of cushions. Therefore, you should measure your motorcycle’s seat and choose the pad that will fit it. Alternatively, some cushions have the motorcycle models they are designed for specified in the instructions. So, select a model that will fit your bike seat for sure.
Will a seat cushion increase the sitting height?
Most seat pads are designed to add a slight height, making you sit higher than you would without the cushion. This height, however, will vary from one model to another. It will also depend on the material used to make the cushion. Generally, foam cushions are always thicker and would add more height than air-based and gel-based pads.
Are motorcycle seat pads waterproof?
The majority of such cushions are waterproof. However, some are not. You may also find some models with outer washable covers, but their interiors will be waterproof. If you have bought one that is not waterproof and you need to ride in the rain, there is no need to buy another item. All you have to do is to use a water-repelling spray to treat your seat pad before going out.
Does sheepskin make motorcycle seats more comfortable?
Leather seats tend to be very uncomfortable because they don’t have much give for shock absorption. They also get very hot when left in the sun. Sheepskin covers, on the other hand, will keep you comfortable the whole ride through.
What material is best for motorcycle seats?
There are two main types of motorcycle seat coverings: leather and vinyl. For those who primarily ride their bike around the city, vinyl is the better option. It is not as durable as leather if left exposed to the elements, but it is more comfortable.
Picking a Motorcycle Seat Pad That Suits You Best
Riding for long distances shouldn’t be a dream or a struggle for you. It is possible to enjoy riding for hours by getting yourself the best motorcycle seat pad for long rides. The cushions mentioned above will not only make the bike seat more comfortable but will also allow you to drive for extended hours through rough terrains without experiencing any pain or numbness.
However, not all cushions will work optimally for all motorcycles. So, choose the model that fits best for your bike model. My top pick is Airhawk R-REVB Cruiser R. It is an air-based cushion that has an inflatable polyurethane that distributes body weight evenly. This feature provides support and relieves pressure points. Besides, it promotes air circulation that helps in cooling the rider during afternoon rides.
The other cushions are honorable mentions that can also make great fits, based on your preferences. Examine their features, pros, and cons and decide what you look for in an ideal motorcycle cushion. In the end, you can purchase your ideal seat pad and have a great time riding for long hours.
What is your best motorcycle seat cushion for long rides? What feature do you look for in your ideal cushion? Have you used any of the seat pads mentioned above? If yes, did you like it, and would you recommend it to other bikers? Share your experiences below and let me know if you have any questions.
Bruce was born in Atlanta. He started riding motorcycles when he was 10 and has been passionate about them since. Bruce says he feels absolute freedom when he’s on two wheels. He prefers riding his bike slowly and smoothly along a country road and hardly ever enjoys wildly speedy rides. With a strong Ducati Multistrada 1200 in the current stable, Bruce enjoys his super powerful, comfortable and easy rides. Ducati Diavel is the beast he’s currently dreaming about…