Best Oil Cooler for Harley Davidson: Make the Engine Work Better
Even the premium motorcycle engines may wear out after some time. It usually happens because of the wrong supervision. The engine requires checking on a routine basis. However, you can prevent a lot of motor damage using an oil cooler. It decreases the device heating – the engine lives longer if it works at the optimal temperature.
The best oil cooler for Harley Davidson I have encountered is Jagg 6 row oil cooler. It is supplied with innovative cooling and hyper flow technologies for the best engine performance. The design allows us to cool down all the motor components. In my Harley Davidson oil cooler review, you will find other options too.
Top 5 Best Harley Oil Coolers
It’s not that complicated to find a suitable oil cooler for Harley Davidson. However, I think these reviews will help you make it faster and easier.
1. Jagg 6-Row Oil Cooler – Best Oil Cooler for Harley Davidson
Jagg company has been producing the oil coolers for Harley Davidson motorcycles for a long time and still remains the most prevalent manufacturer. The reason for this is their passion for implementing technologies. They also offer the devices for Buell, Honda, Yamaha, and universal oil cooler – as you can see, the Jagg brand has a high level of trust.
HyperFlow Technology is what makes this machine reliable and long-lasting. Most providers focus on oil cooler performance. Jagg doesn’t miss this part but strives to find the balance between cooling system work and the oil system flow – it’s the main principle of the HyperFlow Technology.
The kit has everything you need to install the device – no additional instruments are required. You will get highly-durable Uralite clamps. They allow mounting the oil cooler in the direct airflow that increases its productivity and lifespan. Also, the high-flow oil filter adapter is included. It makes the oil flow through the filter first that decreases the temperature directly.
This model is the top pick on the market now because it combines simplicity and effectiveness. It is lightweight – the cooler weighs only 1.6 ounces. The dimensions are 12 x 6 x 9 inches, which makes the device compact and quiet. Also, thanks to the small size, the oil cooler has high-efficiency but consumes less energy.
- Harley-Davidson Slimline Oil Cooler System
- 750-1200, Harley-Davidson 6 Row SlimLine Vertical Frame Mount Oil Cooler System
- Made with the HyperFlow technology;
- Lightweight and quiet;
- Easy-to-install with all equipment included;
- Doesn’t decrease the engine power.
- Only one size is available.
2. Evil Energy 10-Row Kit – Durable Motorcycle Oil Cooler
As there are many motorcycles models, Evil Energy company offers you two oil cooler sizes to choose from. The one with ten rows and the one with fifteen. You need to measure what option fits you most before buying – all the dimensions are noted. Besides the oil cooler, the kit includes some equipment you need for installation.
You will get two oil lines, mounting nut and oil filter adapters, fuel hose. However, you should buy the hardware and brackets separately. The cooler is made of aluminum. This material is one of the most durable ones because it hardly gets damaged and becomes rusty slowly. Also, the construction is strong but weighs a little.
Evil Energy oil cooler doesn’t only cool the engine oil – it decreases the temperature of transmission and rear-differentials. As a result, the engine lifespan increases a lot. The machine will serve you for longer because the oil doesn’t heat too much, and all the motor components work in the right way.
The cooler is quite simple to install. It’s because the manufacturer gives you almost all the equipment you need. You should set the device in a suitable cold airflow location – in this case, it will provide better performance and will unlikely get damaged. The working temperatures start with the -40 Fahrenheit degrees and end at 257 degrees.
- Inlet / Outlet Size: 10 AN. Oil Capacity:0.55L. Engine oil cooler kit include: 1pc 10row stacked-plate oil cooler, 2pcs AN10 braided oil/fuel lines (Lengths: 3.94ft/1.2M, 3.28ft/1.0M), 1pc 3/4 mounting nut adapter, 1pc M20*1.5 mounting nut adapter, 1pc oil filter sandwich adapter, 1pc fuel hose Clamp. Made with High Quality T-6061 Aluminum. Usable to cool down engine oil, transmission, and rear-differentials.
- Feature: Keep the oil temperature low to prevent damage, or even seizure of the engine. Helps Reducing Coolant Temperature and Extends Engine Life. The 10 row oil cooler basically likes a radiator to cool down your engine oil. When your engine spins under high load at high rpm, it creates friction and that heat from that friction is transmitted into the oil and than the oil over heats, when the oil breaks down, it doesn't lubricate well and reduces your engine life over time.
- Universal. Universal oil cooler kit. Choose a reasonable spot to install. But they must be locations where there will be a good, cold airflow through the cooler. And please measure the size before purchase to ensure it can be installed.
- Easy to install. Transmission oil cooler kit installation instruction included in the package. Fuel Line working pressure: 500 psi. Fuel Line Temperature Range: Working Temperatures of -40℉ to 257℉(-40℃ to 125℃).
- The 10 row oil cooler kit basically just cools the oil down, the greater the surface area, the more air we have and the more tubes we have exposed to the air and the more heat we can dissipate or get rid of. Mounted in a reasonable spot where it is getting good air you have oil coming from the engine into here and then coming back and cooling it and making sure that it is within a certain operating temperature.
- Two sizes to choose from;
- Increases the engine lifespan;
- Works at wide temperature range;
- Lightweight and strong material.
- You should buy hardware and bracket separately.
3. SMT-MOTO System – Best Harley Oil Cooler for Touring Models
Harley Davidson motorcycle models are powerful machines, so they require the same convincing oil coolers. The SMT-MOTO device has increased airflow to 220 CFM’s. However, it keeps the same efficiency as the standard models with a lower performance level. The cooler has dual waterproof fans. They make the cooling process faster and decrease the temperature even more.
Besides the fans, there are also waterproof connectors. So, the installation and usage are safe – in addition, the device wears out slowly, thanks to the protective metal layer. Not only water but also dust gets inside hardly. The cooler design doesn’t cool the engine too much – it stops when the temperature reaches 190 Fahrenheit degrees.
The SMT-MOTO tool is made of aluminum – as you see, this material is trusted among the manufacturers. However, this cooler also has a steel grid. It protects the fans and other components from damage – small rocks from the road won’t be able to reach the mechanism.
- Dual IP68 Waterproof Fans
- Increased Air Flow to 220 CFM’s
- Durable Thermal Switch with Built in Wiring
- Plug n Play Wiring Harness
- Waterproof Connectors
- High efficiency;
- Has a protective waterproof steel layer;
- Stops the work when reaches 190 degrees;
- Easy to install.
- Not all installation tools are included.
4. Jagg Fan-Assisted Oil Cooler – Universal Oil Cooler Kit for Motorcycles
The oil cooler’s design may vary a lot, and it’s difficult to say which one is better – you should choose the item that will fit your motorcycle the most. This Jagg`s device has 10 rows. Such a construction is a standard one – in most cases, it will be suitable for your Harley Davidson machine. In addition, it has a two-pass design. It increases the cooling surface at least two times, which provides better performance.
Aluminum construction is a reliable one, but it becomes even more durable with the powder-coated finish. It reduces friction during work. As a result, the cooler wears out slowly and damages the engine less often. Most cooling systems serve for about one-two years. But Jagg strives to create the device that will do its job for longer – and this model is an example of their success.
Many people refuse to set oil coolers because some options require a lot of power, which is not profitable. Jagg has found a workable solution. This oil cooler has additional turbulators that increase the device efficiency with minimal fuel loss. Such a design works best with the V-Twin motorcycle.
The kit includes all the equipment and instruments for the installation. It’s not that complicated to set the cooler by yourself. You just need to follow the instructions. By the way, you can easily check if the device fits your motorcycle model or not on the website. Or you can measure it by yourself.
- Aluminum construction with durable powder-coated finish
- 10-tube, two-pass design offers significantly more cooling surface than the closest competitor
- Extreme performance in a compact package; the WideLines special in-line turbulators add to the coolers efficiency with minimal oil pressure loss or restriction
- Specifically designed to exceed the cooling demands of the modern V-Twin motorcycle
- Kits integrate a chrome or black channel along the outer edge of the cooler to complement your engine
- A standard design that fits many models;
- Wears out slowly;
- The turbulators increase efficiency two times.
- Can be too heavy;
5. Final Touch Products Harley Touring Oil Cooler – Quick Installation
If you’re searching for a simple but reliable oil cooler that will fit mostly all Harley Davidson motorcycles, this Final Touch Products kit will be an excellent choice. The manufacturer works with motorcycle accessories for a long time. Final Touch Products company is known for the extraordinary innovations that they try to implement in life – and they’re doing great.
The oil cooler is made of premium aircraft-quality billet aluminum. Many providers use this material because it doesn’t heat so much. It has a low density that also makes it lightweight. In a short word, aluminum is a perfect metal for creating durable cooling systems because it doesn’t weigh down the motorcycle and works quieter than other models.
This device is sold without the equipment for installation. You may think that you need to spend time searching for the required instrument; however, everything is simpler. The cooler can be installed in less than a minute. And you don’t need any additional tools to provide this – just push it over the oil filter.
Such a design is highly convenient because you can uninstall the mechanism during the cold weather. The oil cooler during the winter can decrease the engine performance level, which will make it harder to drive. Also, the motor may get damaged. But with the Final Touch device, the engine will slow down less possibly.
- Premium lightweight material;
- You need ten seconds to install the device;
- Doesn’t weigh down the engine;
- Affordable price.
- Suits a small range of Harley Davidson models.
The Most Essential Facts About the Oil Coolers
Many people forget about oil coolers and believe that they don’t need them. But they’re significant for the right motorcycle work. Here you will find the answers to the most common questions about the oil coolers.
Do I need an oil cooler on my Harley?
Firstly, an oil cooler increases the engine lifespan a lot. It doesn’t allow the motor to overheat, and, as a result, the machine gets damaged less possibly. Also, your Harley will work much quieter. The oil cooler doesn’t require a lot of fuel just because it decreases engine consumption.
Do oil coolers work on Harley Davidson?
The oil coolers for the Harley-Davidson motorcycles work in most cases – but diverse models decrease various temperature ranges. Some of them may cause a 5-10 degrees difference. More innovative systems provide 15-20 degrees cooling. However, it’s not always good for engines to work at too low temperatures, that’s why I recommend you to choose the coolers with medium performance.
How can I make my Harley run cooler?
Mostly all the Harley Davidson motorcycles are adapted to the oil coolers. So, the device will run perfectly right after the installation. It’s not difficult to set the cooling system. Many manufacturers provide a mechanism that doesn’t require additional tools – you just need to push it over the oil filter. But most oil coolers need handy tools. Don’t worry – even if the kit misses something, you can find it at home for sure.
What oil does Harley Davidson recommend?
You may choose from the two types of oil – semi-synthetic and full-synthetic. The fuel should have a high viscosity index number. It provides low-temperature engine performance. But you also should choose the oil that suits your model the most – it can be even the mineral one. By the way, you can use diverse oils for summer and winter. Using Biodiesel fuel in your engine is also possible. With the oil cooler, you will be able to try a wider fuel range with no doubts.
Let Your Harley Davidson Live Longer
I think most people want to enjoy a perfect motorcycle performance for years, not for several months. A good oil cooler may easily provide this. With the Jagg 6-row oil cooler, your Harley Davidson engine will work more efficiently and reliably. This model is the top choice on the market now – and its characteristics measure up this rank.
Do you have an oil cooler for your Harley Davidson? Does it help you? Or you’re searching for this tool for the first time? Please, leave your comments below.