Why do you need summer motorcycle gloves?
There are different types of motorcycle gloves for every kind of ride and occasion. It is essential to choose a proper one considering your needs and conditions. There are motorcycle gloves for both winter and summer seasons.
Summer motorcycle gloves are important for several reasons. Firstly, they provide essential protection for your hands in the event of an accident or fall. The palms and fingers are vulnerable areas that are prone to injuries, and gloves act as a barrier against abrasions, cuts, and impacts.
Secondly, summer motorcycle gloves are designed with specific features to keep your hands cool and comfortable in hot weather. They are typically made of lightweight and breathable materials, such as mesh or perforated leather, which allow airflow and prevent excessive sweating. This ventilation helps to regulate temperature, reducing discomfort and improving grip on the handlebars.
Additionally, summer gloves often incorporate moisture-wicking properties, which help to manage sweat and keep your hands dry. This feature is crucial for maintaining a secure grip and preventing slippage, especially during long rides or in challenging conditions.
Lastly, summer motorcycle gloves can enhance the overall riding experience by reducing hand fatigue. They provide cushioning and padding in key areas, minimizing vibration and impact on the hands. This helps to improve comfort during extended rides, allowing you to stay focused and in control.
What is the difference between summer motorcycle gloves and standard motorcycle gloves?
|Feature||Summer Motorcycle Gloves||Standard Motorcycle Gloves|
|Material||Lightweight and breathable materials (mesh, textile)||Heavy-duty materials (leather, synthetic materials)|
|Ventilation||Enhanced ventilation for airflow and cooling||Limited ventilation, can be less breathable|
|Protection||Focus on impact protection and abrasion resistance||Emphasize overall protection and durability|
|Insulation||Minimal insulation for warm weather conditions||May have insulation for cooler or cold environments|
|Weather Suitability||Designed for hot weather and high temperatures||Suitable for various weather conditions|
|Grip||It may have improved grip for sweaty hands||Generally, provide good grip in different conditions|
|Comfort||Increased comfort with moisture-wicking properties||Comfortable but may retain heat in warm conditions|
|Durability||May sacrifice some durability for a lightweight design||Typically built for long-lasting use and durability|
|Price||Generally more affordable||Can be more expensive depending on the materials|
What are the best summer motorcycle gloves?
|Best Summer Motorcycle Gloves|
GOLDTOP Mens Silk & Unlined Predator Leather Motorcycle Gloves
|$87.00 on Amazon|
Alpinestars SP X Air Carbon V2 Gloves
|$134.99 on Amazon|
Oxford RP-2 Sports Gloves
|$57 on Amazon|
Knox Hand Armour ORSA Gloves
|Approx. 150$ on Amazon|
Dainese Mig C2 Gloves
|$163 on Amazon|
KLIM Badlands Aero Pro
|$159.00 on Amazon|
Rev’it Fly 3 Gloves
|$109.00 on RevZilla|
Klim Induction Gloves
|$140.00 on Amazon|
RST Pro Series Ventilator V Gloves
|From $44.00 on Amazon|
Joe Rocket Velocity V2X Gloves
|$25.00 on Amazon|
GOLDTOP Mens Silk & Unlined Predator Leather Motorcycle Gloves:
Crafted from 1.0mm thickness aniline cowhide leather, these gloves strike the perfect balance between supple comfort and robust durability. The single hide construction on the front and back ensures a seamless and premium quality finish, while the tear-resistant and burst-resistant properties of the cowhide leather provide reliable protection. With a focus on safety, these gloves feature a Knox Microlock impact-resistant floating knuckle and protective pads on the lower palm and fingers. Double or triple-stitched visible seams using high-strength 5-strand cotton thread enhance durability and tear resistance, while the ribbed Velcro strap keeps the gloves securely in place, minimizing the risk of accidental removal during rides. Designed for optimum fit and comfort, these gloves incorporate a “floating knuckle” design that moves effortlessly with your hand’s full range of motion. The unlined palm promotes direct contact with the handlebars, while the upper section is silk-lined to wick away sweat and keep your hands cool in the summer heat. The double-skinned grip between the index finger and thumb provides additional comfort and durability. Enhanced breathability is achieved through the hybrid silk lining, with vented perforations allowing increased airflow. Backed by our one-year Goldtop Guarantee on manufacturing, these Motorcycle Gloves are a testament to our commitment to excellence, ensuring your hands are protected in style on every ride.
Alpinestars SP X Air Carbon V2 Gloves:
Alpinestars is a well-respected name in the motorcycle gear industry, and their SP Air gloves are specifically designed for hot weather conditions. These gloves feature a combination of leather and mesh construction, offering excellent breathability without compromising on protection. The hard knuckle protection and reinforced palms provide ample safety, while the perforated areas ensure optimal airflow. Alpinestars SP Air gloves are highly comfortable and offer a secure fit, making them an excellent choice for summer riding.
Oxford RP-2 SportsGloves:
Oxford is known for producing reliable and affordable motorcycle gear, and its RP-2 Sports gloves are no exception. Designed for summer riding, these gloves offer a great balance of protection and ventilation. The gloves are made from supple leather and incorporate stretch panels for flexibility. The perforated leather on the fingers and back of the hand allows air to circulate freely, preventing your hands from getting sweaty. With their solid construction and competitive price point, Oxford RP-2 Sports gloves are an excellent choice for riders on a budget.
The Orsa gloves by Knox are a pair of compact gloves made from breathable goat leather with small holes. They have a synthetic inner lining and extra openings to allow cool air to circulate. These gloves include specialized hard knuckle protection that allows ventilation and protective padding on the fingers. Knox has also incorporated sturdy protection on the palm’s heel and the scaphoid bone area. The wrist area has an elasticated design, and the cuff utilizes the convenient cable-operated BOA closure system for quick fastening. These gloves have a CE rating of 1 KP, indicating their compliance with safety standards.
Dainese Mig C2 Gloves:
Dainese is synonymous with innovation and performance, and the Mig C2 gloves are a testament to their commitment. These gloves are constructed using a mix of mesh fabric and goatskin leather, offering excellent airflow and durability. The carbon fiber inserts on the knuckles provide superior impact protection, while the reinforced palms enhance grip and control. Dainese Mig C2 gloves strike the perfect balance between protection and comfort for summer riding.
KLIM Badlands Aero Pro
The Badlands Aero Pro is a motorcycle glove that offers excellent protection while incorporating breathable features. It replaces the waterproof GoreTex liner found in the Badlands GTX with breathable perforated leather panels, maintaining the same level of durability and safety features. The glove retains its rugged carbon/ceramic knuckle guard, XRD padding along the fingers, and ceramic-printed palm slider that give it an indestructible feel. The rest of the glove is made from full-grain leather, ensuring comfort with box-stitched seams that prevent uncomfortable edges. Additional features include Klim’s Mult-e-Touch panels on the fingertips for touchscreen compatibility and low-profile reflectivity from 3M Scotchlite carbon black panels.
Despite its impressive design, the Badlands Aero Pro does have a few tradeoffs. Firstly, it is relatively expensive, especially considering it is a short-cuff summer glove. Secondly, there are concerns about the durability of perforated leather when compared to non-perforated materials, particularly when it comes to abrasion resistance on asphalt.
Rev’it Fly 3 Gloves
Rev’it is known for its high-performance motorcycle gear, and the Fly 3 gloves are a popular choice for summer riding. Constructed with a combination of goatskin and mesh, these gloves provide excellent breathability and abrasion resistance. The injected ventilated flex knuckles offer impact protection, while the connected fingertips enable touchscreen compatibility. Rev’it Fly 3 gloves offer a snug fit and superior comfort for extended rides in warm weather.
Klim Induction Gloves
The Klim Induction gloves are engineered for hot climates, making them ideal for summer riding. These gloves feature a combination of goat leather and mesh fabric, allowing for optimal airflow while still providing abrasion resistance. The hard knuckle protectors and Poron XRD palm padding ensure excellent impact protection. The Klim Induction gloves offer a perfect balance of durability, comfort, and ventilation for riders who demand high performance in hot conditions.
RST Pro Series Ventilator V Gloves
The RST Pro Series Ventilator V gloves are designed to keep your hands cool and protected during summer rides. Made from perforated cowhide leather and mesh fabric, these gloves offer excellent airflow without compromising on safety. The carbon fiber knuckle protection and double-layer leather palm provide ample impact resistance. RST Pro Series Ventilator V gloves offer a comfortable fit and exceptional value for riders seeking reliable summer gear.
Joe Rocket Velocity V2X Gloves:
The Joe Rocket Velocity V2X gloves are an affordable option for riders looking for summer-specific gear. These gloves feature a combination of FreeAir mesh fabric and leather, ensuring both ventilation and protection. The injection-molded knuckle protectors and reinforced fingertips offer enhanced safety. With their adjustable wrist closure and pre-curved fingers, Joe Rocket Velocity V2X gloves provide a secure fit and excellent comfort during hot weather rides
What to look for in summer motorcycle gloves?
When looking for summer motorcycle gloves, there are several factors you should consider to ensure comfort, protection, and functionality. Here are some key features to look for:
- Ventilation: Since you’ll be riding in warm weather, proper ventilation is crucial to keep your hands cool and comfortable. Look for gloves with perforated or mesh panels on the fingers, palms, and back of the hand to allow air circulation.
- Material: Opt for gloves made from lightweight and breathable materials that offer good airflow. Common materials used in summer gloves include mesh, textile, or a combination of leather and mesh. These materials provide a balance between protection and ventilation.
- Fit and Comfort: The gloves should fit snugly without being too tight or restrictive. Consider the shape of your hand and choose gloves designed to accommodate it. Look for gloves with pre-curved fingers for a natural grip and comfort. Also, ensure that the gloves have adjustable closures such as Velcro straps or buckles for a secure fit.
- Protection: Even in summer, it’s important to prioritize hand protection. Look for gloves that offer impact protection on the knuckles, palms, and fingers. Reinforced areas and padding can provide additional protection in case of a fall. Check for CE certification, which indicates that the gloves meet certain safety standards.
- Grip and Control: Choose gloves with textured palm or silicone grip patches to enhance your grip on the handlebars. Good grip and control are essential for safe riding, especially in hot and sweaty conditions.
- Touchscreen Compatibility: Consider gloves that have touchscreen compatibility on the fingertips. This allows you to use your smartphone or GPS device without having to remove the gloves.
- Reflective Details: Reflective elements on the gloves increase your visibility to other road users, which is crucial for safety, especially during nighttime rides.
- Durability: Look for gloves with reinforced stitching and high-quality construction to ensure durability and longevity.
- Style and Design: While not a functional aspect, many riders consider the style and design of their gloves. Choose a design that suits your preferences and matches your overall riding gear.
Different types of summer motorcycle gloves
There are several different types of summer motorcycle gloves available, each designed with specific features and purposes. Here are some common types:
- Mesh Gloves: These gloves are made with a mesh fabric that offers excellent breathability and airflow. They are lightweight and allow for maximum ventilation, making them ideal for hot summer rides.
- Perforated Leather Gloves: These gloves are constructed with small perforations or tiny holes in the leather material. The perforations enhance airflow and ventilation while still providing the durability and protection of leather.
- Fingerless Gloves: Fingerless gloves, also known as half-finger gloves, are designed with open fingertips, leaving your fingers exposed. They provide partial protection while allowing for increased tactile sensitivity and dexterity.
- Racing/Track Gloves: These gloves are specifically designed for high-performance riding and track use. They often feature additional protection in the form of carbon fiber knuckle guards, reinforced palms, and wrist sliders for maximum safety.
- Adventure Touring Gloves: Adventure touring gloves are geared towards long-distance rides and off-road adventures. They typically offer a balance between protection and comfort, with features like extra padding, reinforced fingertips, and weather resistance.
- Cruiser Gloves: Cruiser gloves are designed with a focus on style and comfort. They often feature a relaxed fit, ergonomic design, and premium materials like soft leather. While they prioritize comfort, they still provide essential protection.
- Street Gloves: Street gloves are versatile and suitable for various riding styles, including commuting and everyday riding. They strike a balance between protection, comfort, and style, making them a popular choice for many riders.
It’s important to choose a pair of gloves that best suits your riding style, preferences, and the level of protection you require. Always prioritize safety and consider factors such as fit, materials, ventilation, and impact protection when selecting summer motorcycle gloves. At the same time, take into consideration that motorcycle gloves come in different sizes and you have to know how to choose the best motorcycle glove size.
Are leather motorcycle gloves good for summer?
Leather is my favorite material for motorcycle gloves. However, when choosing the best leather motorcycle gloves, there are specifics to consider. When it comes to summer motorcycle riding, the appropriateness of leather gloves depends on various factors. To ensure comfort, look for gloves that have breathable features like perforations or vents, allowing airflow and preventing your hands from getting too hot. Thinner leather or perforated gloves are recommended as they offer better ventilation and airflow. It’s also worth checking if the gloves have moisture-wicking or anti-sweat linings, which help keep your hands dry and comfortable. Choosing gloves with minimal or no insulation is advisable to avoid overheating in hot weather. However, personal preference is crucial since some riders may still find leather gloves suitable for summer use, while others may prefer alternative materials such as mesh or textile gloves, which provide enhanced breathability. Striking a balance between protection, comfort, and airflow is important when selecting motorcycle gloves that meet your specific needs and riding conditions. Seeking advice from experts or fellow riders can offer valuable insights and recommendations based on your preferences.