Maintaining proper tire pressure is of paramount importance for motorcycle riders. Inadequate tire pressure can lead to a host of issues, including reduced fuel efficiency, decreased traction, compromised handling, and increased risk of accidents. Low tire pressure, for instance, can cause tires to overheat and wear out more quickly, affecting their grip on the road. On the other hand, overinflated tires can result in a harsher ride, reduced contact area, and decreased braking performance. Monitoring tire pressure regularly is critical to ensuring a safe and enjoyable ride.
The motorcycle industry has witnessed significant advancements in technology that not only enhance the riding experience but also prioritize safety. Some of these techniques involve motorcycle tire pressure gauges. Nowadays you can even calculate necessary tire pressure when changing tires with a motorcycle tire pressure calculator for road bikes. Another such innovation is the Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System (MTPMS). With proper tire pressure being crucial for optimum performance and safety, MTPMS has emerged as a valuable addition to motorcycles, offering real-time monitoring and alerts. In this article, I will delve into the benefits and some of the best Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS).
What is the proper motorcycle tire pressure?
Typically, the recommended tire pressure for street motorcycles falls between 28 to 40 psi. When engaging in sport riding, it’s preferable to use the lower pressure indicated by the manufacturer, whereas commuter riding usually requires higher pressure. These guidelines mainly apply to sports and road motorcycles.
For optimal traction and a more spirited riding experience, we suggest a standard setting of 32 psi for both the front and rear tires. However, if your primary concern is maximizing the lifespan of the tires, it’s advisable to inflate the front tire to 40 psi and the rear tire to 42 psi.
What is Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)?
A Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is a technology designed to monitor the air pressure in the tires of a motorcycle and provide real-time information to the rider. It helps ensure that the tires are properly inflated, which is crucial for safe and optimal performance of the motorcycle.
TPMS typically consists of sensors installed on each tire that measure the air pressure and transmit the data wirelessly to a display unit or dashboard on the motorcycle. The display unit provides the rider with the current tire pressure readings for each tire, allowing them to quickly identify any deviations from the recommended pressure levels.
The primary purpose of TPMS is to alert the rider if the tire pressure drops below or exceeds the recommended range. By providing timely warnings, TPMS helps riders take appropriate action to maintain the correct tire pressure and avoid potential safety risks.
In addition to pressure monitoring, some advanced TPMS systems may also provide temperature readings for the tires. This information can be useful as excessive heat buildup in the tires can indicate potential issues or hazards.
It’s important to note that not all motorcycles come equipped with TPMS as a standard feature. However, aftermarket TPMS kits are available, allowing riders to retrofit their motorcycles with this technology for enhanced safety and performance.
Best Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)
SYKIK Rider SRTP300 Inner tire TPMS
Unlike traditional TPMS systems, the SRTP300 goes beyond monitoring tire pressure from the valve stem. It utilizes advanced technology to directly monitor pressure and temperature from within the tire itself. This approach offers more accurate readings and eliminates the need for external sensors, boosting reliability.
Equipped with real-time monitoring capabilities, the SRTP300 keeps a constant eye on your tires’ pressure and temperature. It promptly delivers updates to a wireless display unit conveniently mounted on your motorcycle’s handlebar or dashboard. This display provides individual tire pressure and temperature readings, allowing you to stay informed about tire conditions while on the road.
To ensure riders never miss a critical change, the SRTP300 employs audible and visual alerts. Whether it’s low pressure or overheating, the system promptly notifies you of potential hazards. This proactive approach significantly reduces the risk of accidents caused by tire-related issues.
Installation is a breeze, as the SRTP300 is designed with user-friendliness in mind. It is compatible with most motorcycle models and comes with all the necessary hardware and instructions. The inner tire sensors are powered by long-lasting batteries, providing extended usage without frequent replacements. Additionally, the wireless display unit features a rechargeable battery, ensuring convenient operation.
Michelin Fit2Go TPMS
One of the key advantages of the Michelin Fit2Go TPMS is its ability to alert you in real-time if there is a drop in tire pressure or if any of the tires are overheating. This helps you detect potential issues early on and take appropriate action, such as inflating the tires or addressing any underlying problems. By maintaining proper tire pressure, you can enhance safety on the road, improve fuel efficiency, and extend the lifespan of your tires.
The Fit2Go TPMS also provides customizable pressure thresholds, allowing you to set the desired pressure range for your motorcycle based on manufacturer recommendations or personal preferences. If the tire pressure falls below or exceeds the set thresholds, the system will trigger an audible and visual alarm to alert you immediately.
Additionally, the Fit2Go TPMS offers an integrated rechargeable battery in the display unit, ensuring continuous monitoring even when your motorcycle is turned off. The display unit can be easily recharged via a USB cable.
Tire-Safeguard Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System
The tire sensor features a replaceable battery, allowing for easy maintenance and long-lasting functionality. It can be securely mounted to prevent loss or theft, providing you with peace of mind while on the road. The secure mounting ensures that the sensor remains in place, accurately monitoring your tire pressure and temperature.
Equipped with a rechargeable battery, the portable monitor is designed to be conveniently portable. You can take it with you wherever you go, allowing you to monitor your tire pressure and temperature on the go. With a pressure range of 0-60 psi and the ability to monitor tire temperature, this monitor provides comprehensive monitoring capabilities for your tires.
With the ability to monitor your tires 24/7, you can rest assured that your tires are in optimal condition. The monitor alerts you to low and high pressure, high temperature, and slow leaks, allowing you to take proactive measures to prevent tire-related issues. By constantly monitoring your tires, you can prevent potential accidents and extend the lifespan of your tires.
You can set personalized levels for low pressure alerts, ensuring that you receive warnings tailored to your specific needs. Additionally, the low-pressure alert level is per axle adjustable, enabling you to fine-tune the monitoring for individual tires or groups of tires.
The monitor features a large 2.4″ x 1.6″ screen with a backlight, making it easy to read even in low-light conditions. The screen displays tire pressure and temperature readings with big numbers, ensuring that you can quickly and effortlessly access the information you need at a glance.
SYKIK Rider SRTP630 Tire Pressure Monitoring System
A cutting-edge solution that provides wireless and effortless monitoring of your tire pressure at any time, ensuring optimal safety on the road. With its advanced features and user-friendly design, this system is perfect for motorcycle enthusiasts seeking enhanced control and peace of mind.
The SYKIK Rider TPMS features a compact 1.5″ color LCD display, allowing you to easily monitor your tire pressure at a glance. In the event of any tire-related issues, the display will flash and emit an audible beep, instantly alerting you to the problem. With this system in place, you can proactively address tire pressure irregularities before they lead to potential hazards or accidents.
Installation of the SYKIK Rider TPMS is a breeze, requiring minimal effort and technical expertise. The system’s components are designed to be vandal-resistant, ensuring longevity and reliability even in harsh conditions. SYKIK stands behind the quality of this product, offering a generous one-year warranty on parts and labor within the United States.
One of the standout features of the SYKIK Rider TPMS is its compatibility with a wide range of motorcycle brands. Whether you ride a Harley Davidson, Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Yamaha, KTM, Indian, Victory, Spider, CanAm, or any other brand, this TPMS seamlessly integrates with your motorcycle, making it an ideal choice for riders of various preferences and motorcycle types.
Invtek TPMS Motorcycle Digital Tire Pressure Monitoring System
This device provides a real-time display of highly accurate tire temperature and pressure data for two wheels simultaneously. It’s incredibly convenient to have this information readily available at a glance.
One of the standout features is its ability to quickly detect leaks and provide an alarm, ensuring timely action to prevent potential accidents. This feature alone can greatly extend tire life and save you from unnecessary expenses. Additionally, the TPMS helps to balance tire pressure, further enhancing the overall performance and safety of your motorcycle.
I appreciate the flexibility of choosing between PSI and BAR pressure units, as well as Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature units. This customization allows for a personalized experience based on individual preferences.
The TPMS is equipped with a dedicated Freescale chip program, ensuring stable and reliable signals, resulting in highly accurate monitoring data. It utilizes radio frequency technology to provide real-time updates, triggering alarms when abnormal tire pressure or temperature is detected.
The device is powered by a USB cable and comes with two external sensors. It also boasts a built-in high temperature resistant explosion-proof lithium battery, which not only charges quickly but also ensures durability and longevity.
Kujo Universal Tire Pressure Monitor System
Featuring IP67 waterproof level sensors and a monitor, this tire pressure monitoring system is built to withstand the harshest weather conditions. Its anti-rust and durable design guarantee long-lasting performance, providing peace of mind on every ride.
The LCD-FSTN digital display screen ensures clear visibility during both day and night, allowing you to easily read the tire information at a glance. Plus, the dual charging mode provides flexibility with solar charging and USB charging options, while the built-in 160 mAh battery ensures continuous operation.
Installation is a breeze, taking just a few minutes without the need to disassemble your tires. The system intelligently powers on and off, conserving power and maximizing efficiency. It automatically shuts off when the motorcycle is motionless for a period of time and instantly turns back on upon detecting motion.
FOBO Bike 2 Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Designed to enhance your safety and peace of mind, this advanced tire pressure monitoring system is compatible with Android, iOS, and BRP Connect platforms, ensuring seamless integration with your favorite devices.
With its cutting-edge Bluetooth 5 technology, this TPMS eliminates the need for an additional receiver, simplifying installation and reducing clutter. Just connect the sensors to your motorcycle’s tires, and you’re ready to go! The Truly Bluetooth 5 TPMS automatically syncs with the cloud, allowing you to access real-time tire pressure and temperature data from anywhere, anytime.
Not only does it prioritize your safety, but this TPMS also offers convenience. Share your tire status effortlessly with friends and family, allowing them to monitor your motorcycle’s condition remotely. Whether you’re embarking on a solo adventure or riding in a group, stay connected and ensure optimal tire performance with the Truly Bluetooth 5 TPMS for Motorcycles.
leepee Bluetooth 5.0 Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Built to withstand all weather conditions, the LEEPEE Motorcycle TPMS features a tightly stitched design that is both waterproof and dustproof. Whether you’re riding through scorching heat, freezing winter, or any extreme weather, this durable TPMS will accompany you throughout the year, ensuring your safety on every journey.
Intelligently designed, this TPMS system activates and deactivates automatically.. When your motorcycle is stationary for approximately 10 minutes, the sensor seamlessly enters sleep standby mode. However, it instantly switches to working mode and displays real-time data on the dedicated app when vibration is detected.
YESHIN Motorcycle Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Wireless Monitoring: The system utilizes wireless technology to transmit tire pressure and temperature data from each tire to a centralized receiver unit. This eliminates the need for any physical connections or complicated installations.
- Real-time Data: The system provides real-time monitoring of tire pressure and temperature, allowing you to keep track of any changes or abnormalities instantly. This helps you identify potential issues early on, such as low pressure or overheating, preventing accidents and unnecessary tire damage.
- Intuitive Display: The receiver unit features a clear and easy-to-read display, providing you with a quick overview of the tire pressure and temperature of each individual tire. The information is presented in a user-friendly format, ensuring that you can interpret the data at a glance.
- Customizable Alarms: You can set personalized alarm thresholds for each tire, based on your specific preferences or the manufacturer’s recommendations. The system will alert you with visual and audible warnings if the pressure or temperature exceeds the pre-defined limits, allowing you to take immediate action.
- Long Battery Life: The tire pressure sensors are designed with efficient power consumption in mind, ensuring a long battery life. This means you can rely on the system for extended periods without worrying about frequent battery replacements.
- Easy Installation: The YESHIN Motorcycle Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System is designed for easy installation and compatibility with most motorcycles. The sensors securely attach to the tire valves, and the receiver unit can be conveniently mounted on the handlebar or dashboard, providing hassle-free integration with your bike.
- Weatherproof Design: The system is built to withstand various weather conditions, ensuring reliable performance even in rain or extreme temperatures. The sensors and receiver unit are well-sealed to prevent water damage and maintain accurate readings in any environment.
The Steel Mate Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System
In my personal view, the Steel Mate Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System stands out as the most aesthetically pleasing TPMS. Its large LCD screen is designed to be easily readable and wirelessly connected, distinguishing it from the majority of other handlebar-mounted units in this compilation. It can be conveniently installed on most handlebars and is powered by batteries, although the batteries themselves are not included with the system. To conserve battery life, the monitor automatically shuts off after five minutes of inactivity but promptly turns back on as soon as motion is detected.
This particular model offers real-time monitoring of both tire pressure and temperature, and it includes an audiovisual alarm system that notifies you promptly of any issues. The device is capable of detecting both rapid and gradual leaks, and its sensors are resistant to dust and water, ensuring their durability.
SYKIK Rider SRTP300 Inner tire TPMS
Michelin Fit2Go TPMS
Tire-Safeguard Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
SYKIK Rider SRTP630
Kujo Universal Tire Pressure Monitor System
FOBO Bike 2 Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
leepee Bluetooth 5.0 Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System
How does Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) work?
Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) work through a combination of sensors, a control module, and a display unit. Here’s a general overview of how TPMS functions:
- Sensors: TPMS employs sensors that are mounted on each tire’s valve stem or integrated within the tire itself. These sensors consist of pressure sensors and, in some cases, temperature sensors. They continuously measure the air pressure and temperature inside the tire.
- Sensor Communication: The sensors transmit the pressure and temperature data wirelessly to a control module or receiver unit on the motorcycle. The communication between the sensors and the control module can be based on various wireless technologies, such as radio frequency (RF) or Bluetooth.
- Control Module: The control module receives the data from the sensors and processes it to determine the current tire pressure and temperature. It also compares the readings to pre-set thresholds or recommended values for the motorcycle.
- Alert Generation: If the control module detects that the tire pressure is outside the acceptable range, it generates an alert signal. The alert can be in the form of a visual display on the motorcycle’s dashboard, an audible warning, or both, depending on the specific TPMS system.
- Display Unit: The display unit, which is usually located on the motorcycle’s dashboard, receives the alert signal from the control module and shows the tire pressure readings to the rider. It may also provide additional information, such as which tire is affected and the severity of the pressure deviation.
- Rider Response: When the rider receives an alert indicating abnormal tire pressure, they can take appropriate action. This may involve adjusting the tire pressure using an air pump or visiting a service station for maintenance.
How to install a motorcycle tire pressure monitoring system?
Installing a motorcycle tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) typically involves the following steps:
- Gather the necessary tools: You’ll need a few tools to install the TPMS, such as a wrench, pliers, and possibly a screwdriver, depending on the specific system you’re installing. Some TPMS come with their own kit of necessary tools so check the packaging.
- Remove the valve caps from the valve stems: Unscrew the valve caps from the valve stems and set them aside. You may need pliers to loosen them if they are too tight.
- Install the TPMS sensors: Take the TPMS sensors and screw them onto the valve stems. Make sure they are securely tightened but avoid over-tightening, as it could damage the valve stems.
- Connect the sensors: Some TPMS systems require connecting the sensors to a central display unit or a smartphone app. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to establish the connection if needed.
- Mount the display unit: Find a suitable location on your motorcycle to mount the display. This could be on the handlebars or dashboard, like a go-pro mode or in some cases one of the saddlebags. Use the provided mounting hardware or adhesive to secure the display unit in place.
- Power up the TPMS system : Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to connect it to a power source. Usually it can be charged with a USB cable.
- Test the TPMS: Once the installation is complete, turn on the TPMS system and verify that it is functioning correctly. Check if the sensors are transmitting the tire pressure and temperature readings to the display unit or app.
Adjust the baseline tire pressures: If your TPMS system allows for it, set the baseline tire pressures as recommended by your motorcycle’s manufacturer. This will enable the TPMS to provide accurate readings based on the specified pressure range.
Benefits of MTPMS
- Enhanced Safety: MTPMS helps riders detect tire pressure anomalies promptly. In case of low pressure, the system sends alerts to the rider, ensuring timely corrective actions. This feature significantly reduces the risk of tire-related accidents caused by underinflated or overinflated tires.
- Improved Performance: Optimal tire pressure enhances motorcycle performance. MTPMS allows riders to maintain the recommended pressure levels, optimizing fuel efficiency and extending tire life. Moreover, proper tire pressure ensures better handling, stability, and responsiveness, particularly during cornering and emergency maneuvers.
- Time and Cost Savings: Regularly checking tire pressure manually can be time-consuming. MTPMS eliminates the need for frequent manual inspections and provides riders with accurate and immediate tire pressure readings. Moreover, by maintaining the correct pressure, riders can save on fuel costs and minimize tire wear, resulting in long-term financial benefits.
- Convenience and Ease of Use: MTPMS offers user-friendly interfaces and intuitive displays, making it easy for riders to understand and interpret the tire pressure information. The system’s wireless sensors require minimal installation effort and are compatible with a wide range of motorcycle models.
- Extended Battery Life: Some MTPMS units are designed with energy-efficient technology, ensuring minimal battery usage. These systems utilize power-saving algorithms and may even have solar-powered options, reducing the need for frequent battery replacements.
If you’re still unsure whether you need a TPMS or not, check out some of these discussions about motorcycle TPMS on Reddit: